Gravity hot water, pumped heating conversion | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gravity hot water, pumped heating conversion in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi have been asked to fit an unvented cylinder (I’m G3) but the heating system is as follows.

ideal Mexico 2 boiler

gravity hot water pumped heating

28mm flow and return from boiler to cylinder with 22mm flow and return to boiler with pump for heating.

is it possible to put an unvented cylinder on the gravity 28mm’s? Thinking of capping the 22mm heating flow and return from the boiler moving the pump onto the 28mm return then a splitting into 2 x 2 port valves one on the 28mm hot water return one back to onto the heating return. As the system fills from loft tank into 28mm flow on cylinder. Any thoughts? Should I just suggest upgrading whole system boiler as well?

is it possible to put an unvented cylinder on the gravity 28mm’s?
Unless the MI's say otherwise explicitly, I think the answer is a big 'no'. All the unvented cylinders I'm aware of require pumped circulation and the manufacturers say that 'Gravity circulation will not work.'.

This is because the heat exchanger in modern unvented cylinder is a relatively long narrow-bore tube, which maximises surface area and hence heat transfer but requires a bigger circulating pressure than a gravity system can deliver.

Cap the 28mm Gravity Circs at the boiler.

Convert the system to a S plan using the 22mm flow and returns from boiler. Seal central heating system when fitting the Unvented cylinder.

Least then when boiler goes it'll be a straight swap for a heat only boiler.

Either that or talk them into a new system boiler as well.

Unless the MI's say otherwise explicitly, I think the answer is a big 'no'. All the unvented cylinders I'm aware of require pumped circulation and the manufacturers say that 'Gravity circulation will not work.'.

This is because the heat exchanger in modern unvented cylinder is a relatively long narrow-bore tube, which maximises surface area and hence heat transfer but requires a bigger circulating pressure than a gravity system can deliver.

Thanks for your reply chuck. That’s why I was thinking of converting it to a fully pumped system. Just wondering if I could use the existing 28mms as the new primaries and cap off the existing heating flow and returns from the boiler and then re-pick them up from the 28’s. Adding a couple of 2 ports on the returns, new pump and new wiring. Or whether a boiler change with a conventional single flow and return was the only option for an unvented and couldn’t utilise the old boiler that has two flows and two returns

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I wouldn't worry about them. Leave them a be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Totally incompatible. Look at bumping up the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You've fecked up, it's not the way to do it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Has anyone fit the hot water cylinders with a...
Replies
Views
Back