gravity hot water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss gravity hot water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

quality

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a mare today with a old solid fuel system. Pumped return and gavity hot water. I tried all I know to clear the air lock from the hot water cicuit with no success.
In the end I put connection on the flow and return ( AT THE CYLINDER) with a valve in each to force water down the circuit to ensure it was primed.
It worked in the end but just wondered what you guys resort to with normaly easy overcome problems.
ps It was a 3 story house with one hell of a gravity pipe run

Well 'quality' what I've found in my journey as a gas engineer with gravity systems is that if you have an airlock in the return pipe no amount of 'boiling' will remove it!

What I use to do, I say use to because it's been some time since I had the problem; this only works with the drain point on the return at the boiler bye-the-way! Anyhoo's, what I'd do is .........

Okay this is for the professional only right...... none of you armatures trying this one!

Okay with the drain hose on the return, primed and ready to open, I'd boil the backside off the boiler and open the drain-off fully!!! Hoping that the cold feed from the header tank would push the air-lock out! Usually the cold feed and vent were situated at the cylinder!!!

It works, most times!

Obviously with limited experience i would not recommend this as it could scare the poop out of anyone at home, including yourself!!!

Well 'quality' what I've found in my journey as a gas engineer with gravity systems is that if you have an airlock in the return pipe no amount of 'boiling' will remove it!

What I use to do, I say use to because it's been some time since I had the problem; this only works with the drain point on the return at the boiler bye-the-way! Anyhoo's, what I'd do is .........

Okay this is for the professional only right...... none of you armatures trying this one!

Okay with the drain hose on the return, primed and ready to open, I'd boil the backside off the boiler and open the drain-off fully!!! Hoping that the cold feed from the header tank would push the air-lock out! Usually the cold feed and vent were situated at the cylinder!!!

It works, most times!

Obviously with limited experience i would not recommend this as it could scare the poop out of anyone at home, including yourself!!!
pulling the stat phial works as well boil it to death obviously you cant do that with solid fuel

I miss all those bad,time consuming air locks you use to get in the old systems,back filling,turning pumps round,removing boiler thermostat,pulling system water through drain off's...... happy days

:75:

It works, most times!

I tried the dry boil trick with no luck but as you say it normaly works but definatley not for the inexperienced.
I have never come across a system with such a long gravity run before and started to doubt weather it had actualy ever worked

Thing is with solid fuel I'd imagine it'll take some air-lock to stop it working! That's why I wondered if it was in the return pipe? They're always a mare to get shot of! You'd have to litterally put a pump on the gravity circuit in reverse to push the mother out!!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
You've fecked up, it's not the way to do it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I wouldn't worry about them. Leave them a be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK thanks for the response. I hadn't...
Replies
Views
Back