Gravity Hot water ??? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gravity Hot water ??? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

J

jaw

Hi

Its now 11:05pm and I can't see the wood for the trees!

I have visited a customer today who wants to replace their old Ideal E type RS 50 with a more modern and efficient floor standing boiler on a fully pumped Y plan system (Obviously avoiding the possibilty of "pumping over"). The current system from what I can see is gravity HW and pumped CH. Thinking about it tonight, what I can't get me head around is the following:

The property is a bungalow. The boiler is in the garage and the existing HW (gravity?) flow pipe rises from the boiler into the loft space. It then travels horizontally before dropping down to the top connection of the hot water cylinder in the bathroom. The return pipe to the boiler is then visa versa from the bottom connection of the cylinder. How can gravity work in this situation when the pipes in effect go up, across and down in both directions? Or am I being totally thick !

My answer would be to convert the current system to a sealed system but am looking at all avenues at the moment

Any ideas welcome, Thanks

Are you sure is gravity ? As I can not see water going up then horizontal run then drop down then he cylinder and come back up then horizontal run ten drop down to boiler ! I am not saying you are wrong but just me have difficult understanding phisichs this time if the day .
Is there 4 pipe coming out of boiler ? comvert to fully pumped open vent and install y or S plan . Remove primary flow and return , cut out old cold feed and exp pipe as much as you can and renew all pipe work ! Must pf central heating too

The gravity flow & return pipes both going up into the loft & dropping to cylinder coil will work no problem as long as they have vent/feed pipes & rise from boiler to these. Also, the cylinder needs to be high enough as usual, obviously.
Think about it, - as the flow water rises when the boiler heats it, the return water replaces it. Not ideal though, but needs must sometimes. Just the same if you dropped pipes off these primaries to a heat leak rad, - if the rad is high enough it will work well. Only gravity on solid fuel nowadays & needs the flow & return in a nice loop, flow up, return down to be correct.

Last edited:
Hi

Its now 11:05pm and I can't see the wood for the trees!

I have visited a customer today who wants to replace their old Ideal E type RS 50 with a more modern and efficient floor standing boiler on a fully pumped Y plan system (Obviously avoiding the possibilty of "pumping over"). The current system from what I can see is gravity HW and pumped CH. Thinking about it tonight, what I can't get me head around is the following:

The property is a bungalow. The boiler is in the garage and the existing HW (gravity?) flow pipe rises from the boiler into the loft space. It then travels horizontally before dropping down to the top connection of the hot water cylinder in the bathroom. The return pipe to the boiler is then visa versa from the bottom connection of the cylinder. How can gravity work in this situation when the pipes in effect go up, across and down in both directions? Or am I being totally thick !

My answer would be to convert the current system to a sealed system but am looking at all avenues at the moment

Any ideas welcome, Thanks

Gravity can't work must be pumped somewhere

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had an...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
There should be a letter(s) after the 'T70' to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ya, they said the fact the anti-vibration...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I believe most kitchens come with a clause...
Replies
Views
  • Question
On the time to wash per dog, one minute would...
Replies
Views
Back