Gray Water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gray Water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Alex Pelton

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all

I've got a customer who has an outside tap supplied from a grey water storage tank in the loft, this is pumped up from an underground tank fed by rainwater. The custard wants to be able to switch this outside tap from gray water to mains water at will. Easy enough to do with lever actions and double check valves to protect the mains, But does it contravene the water regs?? I think the 2 waters shouldn't ever mix but I'm unsure

yes it does break the regs,you cant combine the two together directly. you require and air gap and cant mix the two lots of pipework. you cant even change it over connecting any of the exsisting grey water pipework to the cold supply it would all have to be new pipework. best to fit another tap.

Last edited:
also if you do fit another tap the tap supplied by the grey water requires a identitiy plate with grey/reclaimed water not for drinking on it or very simular(wras requirement). Dont want anyone mixing the two up and drinking bad water :)

Thanks for confirming that AW, It was fitted by a previous plumber on a new build who has disappeared and nothing is labeled!! It does have a cold fill backup in the tank in the loft, recycles itself every so many hours if not used, quite an expensive and complex bit of kit. If the outside tap purely does gray water does it require it to have a label? common sense says it should but is it required by the regs?

yes. Both the outside tap, any cisterns and tanks (inc. any toilets connected)the pipework and any fixtures and valves should all be labeled up so there is no chance of it ever being drunk, or crossed over. theres a guide on the wras website if memory serves. the labels are normally black and green.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes potentially your existing pipework could...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi rather than use grey water why not use your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The water should come out no hotter than the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have to admit that I don't know what a 60...
Replies
Views
Back