Greenstar 30cdi system leaking under heat exchanger | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Greenstar 30cdi system leaking under heat exchanger in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

plumbgaspaul

Gas Engineer
Customer called me after pressuring boiler to 1.5bar. Water started coming from casing. I attended, ran boiler for about 5 minutes - no issues, re pressurised to 1.5 water started coming from under heat exchanger on shelf. Spoke to Worcester they said to prove leak on HE top up pressure, isolate flow and return, disconnect condense trap and should see water from here if problem. I did this and could not see any clear signs but plenty of water coming on shelf holding HE. Could the issue be with the seal around the return pipe going into HE or could issue be on a pipe within the HE that is dripping externally. I opened access point for cleaning HE and it looked dry. Only seem to be a major issue when pressure gets around 1.5 bar upwards but system does lose pressure weekly. Is it worth trying to change return pipe connection or is it a damaged HE

any signs of leak other than the puddle

Update - as the boiler was 9 years old and the HE had a 10 year warranty I advised customer to call Worcester. They are attending now and confirmed that the HE was indeed the main cause of the issue. Also said that there was a smaller issue with the Expansion Vessel but I am not 100% what issue was as was advised by customer. The cost apparently is £170 for call out (labour costs) and new HE. Worcester state that they take a holding cost of £315 so with the expansion vessel as well this is what the customer is expecting to be charged. Another year and they would have been left with a much larger bill and possibly a new boiler would have made more sense.

Because of the vessel issue.
I think the HE was covered under warranty but the labour wasn't? Also the extra was for replacement of vessel. All in I don't think the customer was going to get a better deal than £315 for a new HE, vessel and labour. Also looking at it the HE hadn't been cleaned in a good while and possibly never really maintained. A lot of other manufacturers would have found a reason to not accept HE replacement.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Baxi Neta-tec
Replies
Views
Fits back on flue on top of boiler
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
unless you are gas safe reg, you should NOT...
Replies
Views
Back