Greenstar Filter review ''Thank Worcester for that'' - or don't; more like. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Greenstar Filter review ''Thank Worcester for that'' - or don't; more like. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFGplumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Purchased for job as an extra to get the extended five year warranty on a danesmoor external(regular)

1 Initial inspection

Pretty standard packaging, looks like a pretty standard filter, flow directions marked on top of the product, Isolation valves pretty stiff once again pretty standard, quick browse of the instructions.. hmm we will see about that Worcester. Aesthetically not the best looking thing, but what filter is?

1.1 Installation

Well here is where the fun starts; Firstly I am sure this product was designed by some weasel that has never even touched a spanner; in my opinion the design is poor and heres why:

The way the product has been designed; it is only easy to fit when the return pipe is directly under a wall mounted boiler due to the fact you cannot reverse the flow config, In other words in must be installed on a vertical return pipe(after the last rad); where the return is also running upwards through the filter. If this is not the case its a right **** to install.

1.2 Performance

After leaving the newly install boiler run in for a few days, I simply couldn't resist splitting the filter open so see what it had collected, a small amount of magnetic sediment had been collected & also a small amount of non magnetic debris had been trapped in the non magnetic particle filter located at the bottom of the unit. Touche... not bad worcester no complaints here.

1.3 General Opinions

I surmise that due to this products expense compared to superior competitors on the market and Its poor design(as regards installation) WB have mostly likely accepted this product to be a failure and to increase sales have come up with their extended 5 year warranty offer if one is fitted. Touche once again Worcester its actually a reasonable deal(for my customers)

I score it 5/10 & that's generous

And as you may have guessed - I wont be thanking worcester for that.

Disclaimer

You may find this review slightly pretentious, cynical or ill mannered mabey all three if your lucky.

In section 1.1 installation the word ''fun'' is mentioned; installation can only be considered fun if you consider "fun" to be shoving shards of broken glass up your arse.

Im pretty sure that the filter is made by Adey who have the magnaclean....

It is made by Adey.

However, Adey only got it to prototype stage, at which point they rejected it for their own Magnaclean brand. Manufacturers develop lots of product ideas that never see mainstream production.

My understanding is that WB asked them to make an OEM filter, so they rooted about in their own reject bin, found a design labelled "interesting idea, but not good enough for the market" and offered it to WB who snapped it up.

But don't quote me on that.

Safe gas i think is worcester and can offer the full garruantee. I do alot of worcesters and have just started to go for my bronze accredited. Your right about the filter though i dont think its a big hit compared to rivals. The spiro i think is garbage but i do like the magnaclean. I havent used the fernox one yet...

For us its

1) Magnaclean Pro
2) Magnaclean Pro 2
3)= Intaklean budget job
3)= Fernox TF1

Everything else (spiro, sentinel eliminator, worcester) is trivially insignificant by comparison.

BTW, has anyone tried the Dirtmag from Altecnic? I struggle to take it seriously, because every time I see that name, I think of 1970s ****o mags. :)

Im pretty sure that the filter is made by Adey who have the magnaclean....

I am also 110% convinced the filter is an Adey product made for WB. As it happens, I bought one over SIX months ago and have never bothered to fit it once I opened the box and looked at it. It is in the garage somewhere.
Besides, in relation to the extra one year warranty if that filter is fitted, I have a feeling it only applies if you are an ''approved WB fitter''? If that is the case, then it is a dump requirement.

I fit them on every poss install, they were a bit of a b..l ache at 1st but used to them no, they do perform well and good in tight situations where the Tf1 would not fit or even the new Magnaclean filter with its pushfit connections .

They are a good selling point along with the 8 year warranty I can offer.

The magnaclean is a pleasure comparatively. I do tend to favor Worcester boilers & have always found their customer service impeccable.

For us its

1) Magnaclean Pro
2) Magnaclean Pro 2
3)= Intaklean budget job
3)= Fernox TF1

Everything else (spiro, sentinel eliminator, worcester) is trivially insignificant by comparison.

BTW, has anyone tried the Dirtmag from Altecnic? I struggle to take it seriously, because every time I see that name, I think of 1970s ****o mags. :)

Thats wot i think . Although ive never tried all in one new one the pro 2. In every magnaclean box you get the garuantee and a question askin is there anyway we could improve it and i always put less bends as im sure loads of folks would agree but ive never fitted one. Do u guys prefer the original as there isnt much price diff is there??

. Do u guys prefer the original as there isnt much price diff is there??

We have a deal on the original Pro 1, with free cleaner and inhibitor, so that is probably skewing our stats.

We have a deal on the original Pro 1, with free cleaner and inhibitor, so that is probably skewing our stats.

I keep meaning to start ordering full time with you guys ray as im missing things like this. We have a local travis perkins and i only use them simply for easiness . But im defo have to get into the way of weekly orders from u guys. I put a fortune over tps counter and they arent cheap.

Thought id try the sentinel eliminator, absolute garbage wont bother. suprisingly i really like the spirotec its all brass very very easy to install and seems to be smaller and requires less space than the others. If its a sealed system and theres no towel rail go for the magnaclean so you can dose it up

Spirowho? They are went mainstream when BG signed them up once addey stopped supplying them with free o ring packs by the thousand. The spirotech leak rate is 1:1,000,000 hence BG signing them up as at 1 point each engineer was repairing 2 magnateleans a week. However despite the figures quoted by spiro I have as much confidence in it as a filter as I do in a Lamborghini as a boiler

fitted a tf1 it leaked on day 1 and never stopped even with 3 new o ring kits sent out.

the best MAGNET is the magnaclean for performance and what the customer sees come out of it. And the pro 2 is a great unit and the push fit makes power flushing connection a doddle

The Worcester one is made by adey, They know it isn't a popular filter with fitters and are redesigning it

As a WAI we get privy to info on new product, feedback, testing etc. Filter is made by adey as already said. WB know it's carp and are redesigning it as we speak.(Destroyer2813 spot on) The extra 12months guarantee is only for WAI. There also bringing out a flue gas heat recovery unit in sept/oct.
There is no literature etc available yet, my question is what will it be called?
my guess Green recovery?

Magna clean pro 2 very good intaclean complete garbage ( sorry ray ) you no what I'm talking about

Forgot to mention that there bringing out a remote heating device as well with app for iPhone

As a WAI we get privy to info on new product, feedback, testing etc. Filter is made by adey as already said. WB know it's carp and are redesigning it as we speak.(Destroyer2813 spot on) The extra 12months guarantee is only for WAI. There also bringing out a flue gas heat recovery unit in sept/oct.
There is no literature etc available yet, my question is what will it be called?
my guess Green recovery?

A flue gas heat recovery unit? That's cutting edge ;)

for a cheap install i have used the Screwfix NN filter. (salus i think) its actually quite good, decent sized magnet compared to simular priced filters like the inta.

the WB one is carp.

The screwfix filter could be the best thing in the world it just doesn't look a quality product, the no nonsense branding lets it down badly.

Im not a fan of the Worcester filter for ease of install or how it looks. I fit them to get an extra years warranty. I think they actually perform quite well though, I have found it to collect more non magnetic debris than any other filter.

Im still a fan of the trappex centramag. Still waiting to get a look at the inline version though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Back