Grit coming from cold water taps | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Grit coming from cold water taps in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

shaunc

Just noticed in the past few weeks that grit is coming out of all the cold water taps in the house except for the mains tap downstairs. I can see very pale crystals at the bottom of a glass if I fill one with water from the tap. Haven't a clue where it's coming from or how to get rid of it. Doesn't look to be limescale. Very small, even, what looks like fine grains of sand.

The problem is so bad that it almost cuts out the water flow and it's blocked up my dishwasher and stopped it working.

I checked with the water board and there's no grit from the mains tap so I don't think it's coming from the mains supply.

The only thing I can think of is that a few months ago, some time in the morning before we got up, we were getting a splurge of water onto the patio coming out of 1 of 2 overflows close together at the back of the house. We had the valve in the cold water tank replaced a few weeks ago to try and cure it, and it's not doing it now, but the grit problem seems to have got worse.

We also had a new boiler installed at the beginning of the year and I'm wondering whether it's anything to do with that. They said it was suitable for softened water, but when it was delivered it wasn't, so we had to turn the softener off to fill up the system, and then they forgot to turn it back on until we noticed problems with limescale a few months later.

I've looked in the cold water tank and I can see some grit at the bottom, which looks like it's been there since the builder left 15 years ago, but if it is that I can't see why it's suddenly causing a problem. And I presume the outlet from the tank isn't right at the bottom anyway.

Anybody got any ideas what might be causing it and how to going about fixing it?

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
IME Mira showers of that age are usually very...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
Back