Grundfos pump rattle | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Grundfos pump rattle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi . I replaced my wilo smart heating pump today as it had developed a problem with surging . I fitted a grundfos alpha2L 15-60. The pump is preset to pp2 and is recommended for most systems . On first start up their was a chattering from the pump which I first thought was air . The noise eventually went but comes and goes intermittently . The only way I can stop the noise perm is to turn it down to pp1 but don't want to cause other problems by doing this . I have googled the problem and sorry know nothing about flow rates etc which all the info refers to . I have an open vented system with 12 rads and a new boiler fitted in Nov 2015 . It also has a manual bypass . Any advice would be appreciated

Sounds like its still a bit of trapped air in the system, failing that is all your pipe-work clipped.

Everything is clipped in as far as I can see . The pump is suppose to be self bleed . One I have noticed is that the last rad on the line takes a long time to get hot with the pump on the lower setting .

I once had a gate valve next to a pump rattle. The gate valve was just off fully open. Turning the valve to 100% open (I usually back valves off a smidgen) solved the problem. Could this be you?

Could be the valves were a nightmare , seized solid . I'll try moving the and see if the rattle stops

if they turn nice and easy now, almost spin on their own, you may well have a sheared valve stem.

I have moved both the valves back and forward to re seat them . They don't feel that loose that the shaft is broken . I have also turned the boiler down a bit as the rads are roasting with this new pump . It's been on for half hour now and no noise , fingers crossed , will keep you posted

Unfortunately I still have a slight int rattle from the pump . I have ruled out the valve as you can hear the noise from the pump with a screwdriver . Is it going to cause any damage to the heating system or boiler if I leave the pump setting on pp1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Could they price up a new manifold as I would...
Replies
Views
The traditional 3 speed fixed settings which...
Replies
Views
Apologies John. Typo on my part. Indicated...
Replies
Views
Back