Guarantee on work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Guarantee on work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Fallon1982

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Evening guys - Haven't posted for a long time (hope you will have me back lol :smiley2: )

Having a little run in with a customer I did a bathroom refurb for last November. She bought a cheap bathroom suite from Victoria Plum - Needless to say the cistern parts were cheap and nasty.

The flush valve has gone wrong three times now - 10 months later. I have changed the flush twice - Each time ordering replacements from VP.

What I wondered is how long would you guarantee your work as a sole trader for? I mean its not my fault the part keeps going wrong is it? Should I have to keep going back and each time it costing me time/money. There is nothing wrong with the way I have installed the valve or my workmanship. Just cheap parts.

Maybe I should have just installed an alternative the first time it went wrong or from the start - Needless to say I won't be sitting there guff parts again.

Welcome your thoughts.

if customer supply parts no warranty

if i supply parts depending on budget 1-5 years

and no well charge her for it

Evening guys - Haven't posted for a long time (hope you will have me back lol :smiley2: )

Having a little run in with a customer I did a bathroom refurb for last November. She bought a cheap bathroom suite from Victoria Plum - Needless to say the cistern parts were cheap and nasty.

The flush valve has gone wrong three times now - 10 months later. I have changed the flush twice - Each time ordering replacements from VP.

What I wondered is how long would you guarantee your work as a sole trader for? I mean its not my fault the part keeps going wrong is it? Should I have to keep going back and each time it costing me time/money. There is nothing wrong with the way I have installed the valve or my workmanship. Just cheap parts.

Maybe I should have just installed an alternative the first time it went wrong or from the start - Needless to say I won't be sitting there guff parts again.

Welcome your thoughts.
Not your issue to sort anything,she was gullible enough to buy from VP they sell utter crap,everyone knows that and have as much support in the event of a problem as a spider with one leg,you need to tell her strait mate,she supplied,you charge for replacing said crap,BTW welcome back

Hi Shaun - We are talking a cistern flush valve - If I buy a fluidmaster for £10-£15 the manufacturer gives a years warranty right. If it goes wrong you aint going to replace it for free unless its a fault from your workmanship right?

Cheers gas man - You guys have answered my question - Exactly what I thought.

Solution = Change customers phone number to "DO NOT ANSWER"

Hi Shaun - We are talking a cistern flush valve - If I buy a fluidmaster for £10-£15 the manufacturer gives a years warranty right. If it goes wrong you aint going to replace it for free unless its a fault from your workmanship right?

yes but then depending whats wrong (eg water main been opened and grit in it ) then i would charge

If people buying tat then I add onto the cost of the job for decent toilet fittings. But if you didnt supply then its chargeable every time.

Surprised you said you are "having a little run in" with your customer that you have been going back to 3 times for free to replace her flush valve she supplied?
What has she said about this, as a matter of interest?
I would tell her you need some money to cover your final call out and if she had bother in the future, she should claim from VP for your costs.

I should have mentioned that if I supplied the materials I would replace the faulty part, doing the labour for free at least on first time. You have to expect sometimes you will get a faulty part and just take the loss in time. Different if a major job needed - like a faulty cylinder days work where you need manufacturer to pay for time

If I supply and install materials, then they are warranted by me, parts and labour for twelve months.
Somethings, like boilers for e.g. Have a 5/7/10 year on them. During that time,
I'd go and check things over to make sure it's the boiler at fault, then pass it onto manufacturers engineers.

My answer to customers with " I'll get the stuff ", is no, sorry, I only supply and install, I don't do labour only.

On the very rare occasion where they have provided ' stuff'

It's made crystal clear before I fit it, not to ring me if it goes wrong !
Ring the person you bought it off.

I don't think it's fair of your customer to allow you to keep coming back. You're obviously a fair minded person but I think you've done enough now and you should politely point that out

I never go down the D.N.A route; if your are in the right you can simply refuse to carry out work on parts not supplied by you, especially if your have made every effort to fix so far.

Thanks gents.

I do try to be fair with my customers. After all thats what brings in repeat custom. But I am going to stand firm on this one. I will actually give her a quote to fit a better part instead. Then I know it should be ok for at least a year.

These things are sent to try us. Appreciate your comments.

Similar plumbing topics

The radiator heating temperature for a...
Replies
Views
WPJ Plumbing
W
E
Is it an unvented cylinder? Sounds like issue...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Thanks some good ideas. Just as an aside if we...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
Back