Guarantee's / warrantee for workmanship | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Guarantee's / warrantee for workmanship in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

beesley121

Hi guys,

I've been self employed for just over 12 months and never had any call backs to fix anything I may have not done properly (touch wood)

Anyway, I've had a text off a customer I fitted a ensuite for 6 months ago to say her towel rad is leaking that I installed for her.

Now all I did was exited the pipes already there to lift up the towel rad but it was obviously fine when I left and for 6 months afterwards.

Now I'm not trying to get away with fixing this but it was fine when I left so what's to saucers customer hasn't kicked the pipe or done something stupid

How long should I be liable for workmanship?

Have you been to look at it? Could be something you're not liable for, seen a few towel rads Leak from welds.

If it was a workmanship issue (leaking tail etc) I would repair for free within that time.

Sometimes things leak after a few months, rarely though. Sometimes its not your fault. Most of the time you're failed by badly made fittings.

I fitted a Grohe bath filler recently in a bathroom and was furnished with the news it was leaking after a few weeks, got there to find the cartridge itself weeping out. Ordered a free replacement from Grohe and fitted it free even though they supplied.

I tend to do this a lot even though its not my fault but a bit of goodwill goes a long way.

I only worry about call backs when I find my own stupidity or failing memory are part of the cause.

Most important action to take this and any other time is to get to your customer ASAP max 24 hours.

If your fault be prepared to eat a little humble pie, if not carefully & calmly explain the cause of the issue to your customer.

The longer you leave a problem not matter how small the less likely your customer will be to accept any explanation, we are service providers the consumer expects and deserves "Service" no more or less than we do when we have a problem with a product or service we buy.

There are times that the speed and courtesy with which you respond to such a call can mean the difference between more work for neighbours and extended family and having everyone the customer knows never willing to have you near their home.

How long should I be liable for workmanship?

Rather than considering it a liability, consider it a sales opportunity. Go and see the customer, ascertain the problem, and get it sorted if you reasonably can, even if it isn't your fault. Go the extra mile. Don't look at it as a pain, consider it part of the marketing element of your business plan.

It amazes me that companies spend £millions on advertising, and then have poor or "jobsworth" customer service. With one hand they spend a fortune to acquire a customer, and then through penny-pinching they throw them away again.

It amazes me that companies spend £millions on advertising, and then have poor or "jobsworth" customer service. With one hand they spend a fortune to acquire a customer, and then through penny-pinching they throw them away again.

Most companies like this cant possibly offer the same kind of service as the little guy, and they know that so don't aim for repeat business, consumers know this yet still trust them to fit their central heating.

One of the reasons the main supermarkets have been able to see off companies like COMET is that they have a 'no argument' policy when goods are returned with any kind of fault within the first 12 months.

Turning a 'come back' into a positive for customers will increase the likelihood that they will come back to you again for further business, and in the meantime spread the word that you are a trustworthy tradesman.

Make the most of any opportunity to shine - a good reputation take years to build, but can easily be tarnished by a disgruntled customer bad-mouthing you.

Similar plumbing topics

N
No blockage in soil pipe? Was he a plumber or...
Replies
Views
Well that's true. It's easy to sit here...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Only other items that may cause noise are the...
Replies
Views
Working at a flow temp of 30 ? As a dt of 30...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Back