Gumph between guttering and a water butt. | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gumph between guttering and a water butt. in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Probably done about 5 small guttering/downpipe repairs in over a decade. Usually just work out what bits I need from what's already there. But on this one she's not sure any of it is right to begin with.

The hopper is meant to collect run off from guttering and divert to a water butt. But it was leaking badly and some cowboy charged her "over £200 to put gaffa tape round it"

It's still leaking and not filling up the butt. So I'm guessing its' blocked with leaves and the joints were never done properly. But is it actually a correct set up to begin with? Is this how it should be done? More of less? Like a big open hopper sat there? Or should it be something with a grill/grate on top?

My guess is once I can identify the right bits I should just pull it apart, clear out any crap and then re-do where necessary with properly done joints. I've tended to solvent weld them in the past. Not sure if you guys do that or even think it's necessary.

205025201_934572337110521_8963759789644309174_n.jpg
204885563_143423911105776_6896526459918071140_n.jpg
204102749_1314242498973485_3762712519628196604_n.jpg
203852427_539242553780641_5012059692908701311_n.jpg

That rainwater diverter kit is too high up the downpipe for a start and looks to be upside down.

Installed as is, the water will inevitably overflow at the water butt instead of continuing down the pipe when it is full, if it doesn't leak out around the diverter first.

The choice to fit a hopper at all is unusual in this installation: what was wrong with using a running outlet? This is how I've seen it done with some 1880s cast-iron installations, but I would imagine (never been that close up) that the cut gutter sections would be closer to one another than these are and that the installers would have formed some kind of anti-capilliary drip to prevent the water running along the underside of the gutter.

Grills and grates are all well and good, but you'll get moss and sand coming off the concrete tiles which will need annual cleaning anyway and moss can tend to sit on top of the grate, so they sometimes are more trouble than they are worth.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
Hi We suggest you get a qualified plumber in...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Burger
B
  • Question
Firstly, I love seeing the world through other...
Replies
Views
Sounds like the trvs shut down and open the...
Replies
Views
Back