Gutter fitting: Square plastic to half round cast. Is it possible? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gutter fitting: Square plastic to half round cast. Is it possible? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to get a fitting that will join a half round cast gutter to a run off that has square plastic on the other end? There is one drain pipe but two different types of gutter have to run in to it.

You can run them both into a hopper - inelegant, but will work.

What make is the square gutter? Different manufacturers make slightly different square sections

For example, if its Polypipe, their part code RS 216 converts square plastic to half-round cast.

polypipe rs216.jpg

Hi Ray, thanks for that link. Let me show you the photo of how my cast gutter has been left by the builder that fitted the square gutter on the house ajoining mine. I am not an expert, but it seems a bit unfair that he has capped off the "run off" fitting after inserting the new square gutter on the neighbour`s side, thereby preventing the water in my gutter from entering the shared drain pipe. He has just put silicone sealer between my gutter and the "run off" fitting.

I told him I was not happy, but he left without changing anything.
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/martindennisuploads/G9.jpg
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/martindennisuploads/Guttera.jpg

Last edited:
Class !
Cracking job that !
The fitting I am afraid will not work as the levels are different ?
Why anyone changes from cast to plastic is beyond me but do not start me on that one !
It will probably work as is but I too would not be happy and sugest you talk to neighbour if you get on ?
Only answer now really is a hopper I am afraid !

Basil,
I cannot see how it will work as it is.
After explaining the issue to my neighbour, I have asked her if she would contact the builder. Although I feel that my neighbour is responsible (for the builder) she is not at fault. The builder is the one at fault of course (path of least resistance etc when doing the job).

Can you tell me a bit more please about how the issue could be resolved with a “hopper”. Any links / photo?

Basil,
I cannot see how it will work as it is.
After explaining the issue to my neighbour, I have asked her if she would contact the builder. Although I feel that my neighbour is responsible (for the builder) she is not at fault. The builder is the one at fault of course (path of least resistance etc when doing the job).

Can you tell me a bit more please about how the issue could be resolved with a “hopper”. Any links / photo?

A hopper would be placed under the 2 adjoining gutters !
No stop end on neighbours so both are free to flow in to the hopper ?
It is a bodge all round as noticed the guttering on neighbours bay window now runs under the soffit unlike yours ?
Not sure he really was a builder but I guess anyone can call themselves anything they fancy these days ?
I will look and see if can find a picture to explain ?

In Polypipe they are RR130, RR140 and RL140 followed by a two letter colour code - ie BL = Black.

RL140 is too large for your needs and has a 110mm outlet. IIRC both the RR130 and the RR140 have 68mm outlets shaped so that they can be used on either round or square downpipe.

In Polypipe they are RR130, RR140 and RL140 followed by a two letter colour code - ie BL = Black.

RL140 is too large for your needs and has a 110mm outlet. IIRC both the RR130 and the RR140 have 68mm outlets shaped so that they can be used on either round or square downpipe.

With both gutters being at different level now, will this effect the idea of using one of these hoppers or will it be ok?

The “builder” returned at the request if the neighbour, so that is something positive. The part he has now fitted looks like the picture that Ray posted in post No3. It is never going to be a “proper job” due to the difference in height of both gutters-hence the copious amount of mastic sealer that has been required to bridge the gap (see pic).

I noticed also that the drain pipe goes all the way down and is touching the grid over the drain, thus preventing the grid from being removed for clearing the drain. If clearing was required, the drain pipe would need to be removed, and any disturbance would no doubt break the seal on the gutter.

As Lame plumber said , “a botch all round”

Attachments

• Sealer.jpg
    Sealer.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
That beauty over the doorstep! Wow.
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Hi, I'm after some advice for a current system...
Replies
Views
Sandy Rivers
S
  • Question
HI Basher UPDATE ; I found a seal kit!! as...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
Back