Half turn on tap before water comes out | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Half turn on tap before water comes out in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

On one of our cold taps i have to turn the handle about a half turn before the water starts to come out. I have taken the handle off to reveal the valve assembly and notice that on the top section where the head with splines is, this can be turned some way in either direction when the tap is off (i.e. valve closed), there is some play in the splined head. The head which has the splines seems to be on a thread into the rest of the valve. When the head is tight closed clockwise and i start to unwind, the splined head starts to unscrew from the rest of the valve on its thread then after about a half turn friction is felt and then the water comes out-The valve is engaged and is lifted. The remedy would seem to be to stop the splined head from turning relative to the rest of the valve but as its on a thread its as if it should turn. The hot tap seems to be a slightly different valve design as there is no way for the splined head to turn on its own relative to the rest. Hopefully my explanation makes sense, not sure what all the valve parts are called.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure if I'm reading this right.
Are you saying that the splined 'nipple' that is the top part of the valve turns some way without turning the actual valve?
I'm presuming you have 1/4 turn ceramic valves.
If that's the case then the top ceramic disk has worn and you need a new valve.
Common types are readily available at plumbers merchants. Also from places like B&Q or Screwfix, but you will be guessing because they're blister packed and there are lots of different sizes.
Take your valve out and get to an independant merchants for a replacement.
It's good practice to change them both at the same time because the other valve is likely to be as old and worn as this one.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
take iso valves off and fit 1/2 inch x 22mm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’re turning the wrong ones, they’re washing...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Thanks Knappers. Yes, good point - definitely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take flow readings where ever you can. Just...
Replies
Views
Back