Hallway/landing radiator | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hallway/landing radiator in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello

Currently speccing to have central heating redone. Currently there is a radiator in the downstairs hallway but none on the first floor landing. I was going to put one in but the only suitable wall is lathe and plaster and doesn't have suitable supports.

Now I can rip the small wall out and stud/plasterboard but was actually thinking if I just leave as is and don't put a landing radiator in. In the case do I need to over spec the downstairs rad from a BTU perspective to compensate?

Also, is it a very bad idea not to have a first floor landing radiator or with a radiator below + bedrooms etc it's fine?

Thanks in advance (property is Edwardian and double glazed)

If you can find the studs in the wall and match this up with a radiator brackets that’s fine

If you can find the studs in the wall and match this up with a radiator brackets that’s fine
Unfortunately this is the problem we have. Essentially the only wall it can be on is one I'm removing the door from (which is how I found it was lathes). Pic below but in essence there is only one stud smack bang in the middle of it so is a far easier task to simply forget about the radiator going there but just want to make sure it's something I will really miss down the line.
20210731_150641.jpg

Depending on the size of the rad max I would go is a 8x6 p+ you should be ok with snap toggles etc or heard good results from these

Or just make a hole in the middle behind the rad and slip some 2”x1” in. Secure the brackets to the 2”x1” and it’ll spread the load.

Done it before works fine.

You can also screw through the lath into the 2”x1” a few times to keep it in place before screwing rad brackets.

Could you not try with just the hall rad and its its not enough fit a larger one in the hall

And yes our house is about 40 years old with as much insulation as practical
Unfortunately not. Moved in last month, central heating currently in place barely works so taking the opportunity whilst renovating to rip out old one pipe system and fit flow/return

Feet are screwed to floor and there are 2 small brackets on rad back tubes that can be moved to find best spot.
Fastened through laths with blue rosett cavity fixings.
Have found grandkids sat on it so don't think it's going anywhere!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
We currently have the ground floor wet UFH and...
Replies
Views
Ok, so on paper looks like a feasible upgrade...
Replies
Views
N
Re: Zoning upstairs. If you don't have 1 set...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks Exedon for clarifying that. I've...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back