Halstead ACE 30 Combi - Overheat | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Halstead ACE 30 Combi - Overheat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Graeme Clark

Hi All

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle.

Around 14 months ago we had a Halstead ACE 30 Combi fitted to replace our Potterton Kingfisher on a gravity fed system.

Over the past couple of weeks the boiler keeps on locking out with code 1 (overheat). When this occurs we lose all CH and hot water.

The lock out occurs when CH is off and we are just drawing hot water. It also occurs when the CH is switched back on.

Originally I thought it was a frozen condensate pipe as suggested by Halstead. The boiler is in an outside toilet and running an unlagged 22mm condense waste pipe. I have now lagged the pipe and changed the 90 degree bend in the pipe with 2 x 45 degree bends to give a better drop. This hasn't solved the problem.

Halstead will not honour the second year of the warranty as the boiler hasn't been serviced.

We called out BG. He would not touch the boiler. His useful advice was 'crap boiler on a crap system'. I am aware thes guys are rushed off their feet at the moment, but a bit of tact wouldn't go amiss. It may well be a crap boiler but we spent nearly 2 grand of our hard earned cash getting it fitted just 14 months ago.

I have a feeling that it could be down to the fact the boiler is connected to a 30 year old 1 pipe system. The system is running a mixture of copper and steel pipework. Despite the best efforts of the installer to get us to replace the entire system, our budget at the time prevented us doing this.

As this is a 1 pipe system we cannot powerflush the rads and the thought of removing each of the iron rads to manualy flush them is a nightmare.

The boiler seems to operate ok if the control knob on the boiler is set at 4 (as opposed to 7 we used to run in at before the problem started). The trouble is it gives us less heat from the rads.

I was wandering if it could be a simple matter of a build up of sludge in the system?

As a preventative measure we are just about to have a Fernox TF1 fitted on the return pipe, do you think this may help?

In the summer we should have enough money saved to replace the ch system (keeping the Halstead) so are lothed to fork out too much money to patch things up.

One plumber from the yellow pages used his crystal ball to tell me over the phone I needed a new pump and PCB.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I am concerned about being ripped off. Having read other posts, you seem like a genuine bunch of people ;)

You might try isolating the boiler flow and return open the filling loop and the furthest drain off with a hose attatched and physically flush the system turning rads on and off or maybe try injecting sludge mobiliser into a rad bleed valve and let it go round the system - then drain/flush it out using the mains filling loop it out and try again. The second option might block the heat exchanger

centralheatking

Many thanks. Will give it a try. With second option do you think the TF1 filter woul help prevent the sludge re-entering the boiler and clogging the heat exchanger? Drained the system down today and refilled introducing Fernox F5 claener into the system. Will run this for a couple of days and drain the system down again. Hope this will at least clean the pipework and boiler through if not the rads.

THe tf1 is a good unit especially as you can see into it - so check it often in the begining

centralheatking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Question
2 showers 2 bathrooms. Is it that bad?
Replies
Views
Jack Canfield
J
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
done, but let's assume you didn't see that...
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
The condensate pipe might be sharing the drain...
Replies
Views
Billy Boiler
B
Back