Hard Work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hard Work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

blokeofkent

Hi all,
I'm 36 and I've recently completed a college course in Southampton and gained my NVQ 2 by shadowing a mate for free, got my CSCS card and am chomping at the bit to get going and change careers. I've got to say that it is so hard to get anyone to take a chance and take you on, even as a Plumber's Mate on minimum wage. Unfortunately everybody is looking for someone with lots of experience and I don't feel confident enough to go it alone. It is so disheartening at times, but I'll just have to keep knocking those doors!

There comes a point when you must just do it, nobody will employ somebody with no confidence, so where you going to get it from, I just went for it in the end, be polite, sensible and work hard etc nvq c&g were designed to give you confidence in the general guts of plumbing you could do all the qualifications known to plumbing and still not be of any use in the field?start small and build confidence its not rocket science! just remember when working wet check and check again before going live !!!

I've done a few jobs. Taps here and there, and 2 new radiator installs. Pretty daunting cutting into the system and waiting to see if those soldered joints are gonna hold! But so satisfying when it's all back up and running! Quite right, just gonna have to go for it!

When I first started the best advice I ever got was 'buy a wet and dry'. It got me out of so many problems. Buy a cheap van and be prompt to any job, polite and fair. I'd give you a chance but you're too far from Brighton. Try a general builder who needs odd plumbing jobs.

Similar plumbing topics

Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
Hi. I am based in Essex and always looking for...
Replies
Views
Back