Has anyone installed a gurgling flush valve before? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Has anyone installed a gurgling flush valve before? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoVil

I just installed a Fluidmaster dual flush valve (screwfix code 51173) in a concealed cistern and when flushing it makes the most horrible suction/gurgling noise as the water exits the cistern tank down the flush pipe until the flush is complete.
I've adjusted the volume of water flushing and adjusted the attached (internal) overflow to see if that's causing it, but nothing seems to work.
Blocking the overflow with my finger silence the loud noise, but you can still hear there's some sort of vacuum forming or siphoning as it flushes.
I can't for the life of me work out what's causing it. I have never had this with any flush valve before on either concealed or close coupled.
Does anyone know what it could be. If not, which flush valves do you guys recommend?

Good question. It's about 13 inches or 330mm. What's your thoughts?

Something from the old valve stuck in the flush pipe?

Not one of them old toilets that has the breather hole ? Does it back up in the pan before finally going away ?

is it the flush valve emptying the whole cistern and does the gurgling happen at the very end?

It's a new back to wall installation and nothing in the flush pipe. The gurgling start almost as soon as the flush starts and stops when it's empty. I flushed without the pan in place ie running it into a bucket and the noise persists. I am curious about the Aussie's question about the height of the cistern above the pan though. Can that make a difference? If not I'll just get a replacement with a different design. Which brands do you guys rely on for minimal long term maintenance? (Hope that's a legit question on the forum). Thanks for replying!

Geberit if you can afford one. I can't so I go with whatever's cheapest in screwfix. Usually about £10-£15 or so

I use fluidmaster flush valves a lot and have no problems with it, something else is probably causing it...I don't know what though,

maybe try twisting out the flush valve and then poor a bucket of water down the cistern, if it still gurgles the problem is not the fluidmaster.

Tolly, I've twisted and pulled it out quickly when full to let it run empty a few times and it still makes the noise. That's what's so mysterious. The noise seem to come from where the overflow meets the bottom of the flush valve. I've also only used fluidmaster unless flush valves comes supplied with wc. Never had this before.

Good question. It's about 13 inches or 330mm. What's your thoughts?

I bet this isn't the only forum you have posted those measurements on!!

Back to Plumbing... that height shouldn't have any effect on the cistern flush. Sometimes concealed cisterns are placed in the ceiling and require baffles in the flush pipe to slow the water flow into the pan.

Is it an original flush valve or an after market product?
If it's an after market product, you may want to try on original product.
Probably be 3 times the price though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The flush seal on these blister and leak they...
Replies
Views
Talk to the landlord first before doing anything.
Replies
Views
F
Ideal standard flush valves are cack, washers...
Replies
Views
S
B
You get an extra rubber washer with the...
Replies
Views
Back