Header Tank Problem | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Header Tank Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has just bought a small country cottage on a hill which is on mains water but due to poor pressure in the mains a system of pumps and gathering tanks are used to get the water up to the property.This provides adequate pressure on the cold water but we need to improve the HW system and this is where the problems start.

Currently the HW system is a conventional indirect cylinder heated by an oil boiler.The header tank is situated on the first floor landing so flow to the taps downstairs is pretty poor. My sister would like to install an upstairs toilet so we need more head to get HW up to the upstairs.

It would seem obvious to raise the header tank to the loft space but the cottage is so small that the space in the apex of the roof is tiny - not nearly enough to accommodate a normal sized tank. In normal circumstances it would have made sense to change to a pressurised HW system such as a Megaflow or perhaps a Combi but because we're receiving the cold supply via two gathering tanks and two pumps it's unlikely that any sort of pressurised HW system would be a success. The cottage is also so small that there isn't really much room for a Megaflow anyway.

The only solution I can think of is to locate a 'string' of 4 gallon header tanks along the apex of the roofspace. There is JUST enough room to sit one of these between each pair of joists all the way along and I was reckoning we'd need about 8 of these tanks to provide a half reasonable amount of storage.

My question is simplE really - would a string of interconnected little tanks work? and what is the best way to interconnect - ie two tank connectors on each tank linking no1 to no2 and so on - OR possibly a run of 22mm pipe with a series of tees and each tee going into one tank connector in the bottom of each tank (a bit like a manifold) Hope that makes sense!

I realise this is a rather daft - even desperate- solution but these little tanks are fairly inexpensive so it's more a matter of time spent linking them together.

Any suggestions lads / lasses?

I've looked at coffin tanks - no room to get them up above the joists. The space available is TINY. Even the small 4 gallon tanks won't stand above the joists without fouling the apex of the rafters so a line of them would have to sit BETWEEN the joists in a sort of cradle with the interconnecting pipes passing through the joists.

Id get a plumber in to have a look, if your joing tanks together you need to know the correct way to avoid stagnant water sitting in the tanks

Id get a plumber in to have a look, if your joing tanks together you need to know the correct way to avoid stagnant water sitting in the tanks

Yes, stagnation is a concern but I would have the water inputting at one end of the row of tanks and exiting at the other to ensure constant through flow. The overall capacity will still be relatively small too (about 25 - 30 gallons in total) so it should be refreshed fairly quickly.

Am I correct in assuming that the head of water from this arrangement is exactly the same as from a single tank of identical capacity - ie that the head depends upon the vertical distance between the water level in the tank/s and the draw off point below?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ensure you check out the pump setting before...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
170L is barely enough for 2 showers for us...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would personally be happier having my own...
Replies
Views
Back