Heat Group Magnaclean copy. Parts of it are excellent. | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heat Group Magnaclean copy. Parts of it are excellent. in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Solutions
I was tidying up the boiler pipework on a bungalow I bought and plan to move into. Being a cheapskate, I considered keeping the Heat Group magnetic filter. It was like the old Magnacleans with offset plastic tails and I knew it would be messy and fiddly to fit, but although it seemed a bit pants, it did seem to work to some degree and wasn't leaking.

Today I got the pipework as tidy as humanly possible, considering I'm trying to keep the space under the boiler clear for a washing machine and needed to run the return to one side to allow the filter to fit without occuping the space that needs to stay clear. I loosened the tap-connector type nuts on the valves so I could check the compression joints were tight enough and reassembled. As the plastic threads always felt horrible, it was impossible to feel for crossed threads, but I was very very careful and stopped as soon as something felt more wrong than usual. One thread, with all the care possible, and even with the valve off the pipework and directly onto the plastic can, just would not screw on straight.

The next part took place much more calmly than the reader might initially imagine.

Having now wasted far too much time on this, I decided to make sure I would not waste any more time on this and wanted to force myself to buy a Spirotrap because at least they don't leak. I put the filter under the front wheel of my van, drove over it four times and turned off the engine.

The valve had come off and the can was a bit scratched. I moved the filter away from the van and tried to set fire to it with my torch.

The label burned off, but the main body stopped burning really very quickly. I then decided to drop large lumps of concrete on it. The first lump of concrete broke and the next one bounced but, after some perseverence, the lid clamp cracked and I managed to smash all the internal bits except the magnet. I was unable to break the main cannister, but decided the filter was sufficiently broken to go in the bin.

So why, when the filter can withstand being driven over by a diesel van, being set fire to, and (to some extent) having lumps of concrete dropped on it, were the threads SO BAD? A friend suggested the original installer may have damaged the threads when installing, but they looked undamaged (although they probably were not ever quite a BSP thread, hence not mating too well with the connectors on the valves).

I still haven't lost my sense of humour.

The old adey ones had the same problems the threads would break down / jump due to the plastic being weak on the thread pitch / type of thread

Similar plumbing topics

P
Mr Speaker: I'm tempted to draught a sarcastic...
Replies
Views
I cleaned out the secondary heat exchanger the...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Don't think that M.valves will pull in air...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back