Heat only boiler - best way to run? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heat only boiler - best way to run? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a newish house (10 years old and new to me!) with a heat only boiler system.

I'm putting the heating on for an hour in the morning now but historically the water has been coming on for 2 hours in the evening.

Is this the best way to run it or is it possible/cheaper to have both on in the morning only?

Thanks

The best time to run the heating is when you need it. In a modern house air changes make a substantial part of the heat demand. Only if you have money to burn should heating be on and windows open. The same goes for air conditioning.

Its a life style choice , if just having the hot water on for 2 hrs. in the evening suits you then keep to that, or if more hot water needed in morning for showering etc. then set up for 1hr morning and 1hr or more in the evening, heating you may have to switch on as and when now its getting a little colder in the evenings

As said above it depends on your lifestyle and when your main hot water demands are. If your cylinder is well insulated, it will retain heat better and save on fuel bills. More efficiency gains can be made through insulation than tweaking on/off times in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Its fair to say that as winter progresses the heating will be on morning and evening but for now while the heating is on in the morning only am I better off moving the hot water setting to come on in the morning at the same time as the heating i.e. so the boiler only has to fire up once instead of twice?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Its fair to say that as winter progresses the heating will be on morning and evening but for now while the heating is on in the morning only am I better off moving the hot water setting to come on in the morning at the same time as the heating i.e. so the boiler only has to fire up once instead of twice?

Again, it depends on your lifestyle! If you heat the cylinder in the morning it will retain some but not all that heat till the evening. If you shower in the evenings, this may not leave you enough hot water. If you use any hot water in the morning, it will be replaced by cold water, thus leaving even less for the evening.

Heating the cylinder at the same time as running the heating is not "free" - the additional demand from the cylinder coil will use extra gas. So if you're wanting to move times to save gas, it will be a fairly negligible gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
170L is barely enough for 2 showers for us...
Replies
Views
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
well, I really cannot see what extra features...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
Back