Heat only boiler upgrade | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heat only boiler upgrade in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

barronbathrooms

Have been asked to quote on a heat only boiler upgrade but been a while since I quoted for such work (been subbying), current system is semi-pumped (heating) with gravity hot water circ's. cylinder is not lagged and pump is really old as is programmer (Randal 102). Am I right in thinking to upgrade to part L compliant I will need to install new foamed cylinder, change to fully pumped and include a zone valve (3 or 2 port) new room thermostat and programmer and new energy efficient pump, customer has asked to keep old pump room stat and Randell programmer, I know the programmer can be used with a 2port valve but most new heat only boilers require a pump over-run so will it be compatible with this? Or can I use a wiring centre to add over-run?
Any advise much appreciated! Thanks

Not too sure about the cylinder, I don't think you need to change that, but happy to be corrected. It will definitely have to be changed to fully pumped, again not too sure whether you'd need to change the pump.

You can get away with re-using the existing timer and stat, just add a wiring centre. The pump will be connected to the call for heat from the room stat at the moment, when you come to wire the new setup. Wire the pump directly to the pump live from the boiler and the switch live to the boiler will go to the orange on the zone valve/ 3 port valve.

the clock may not meet part L, it would need seperate timed control of heating and hot water. Check with the manufacturer if unsure. You can buy non compliant timers for replacement purposes but should not be used for upgrades/new installs.

I used to worry about getting everything spot on to meet part L but having worked for a large company and seeing that they don't bother I'm not so concerned now. I'll recommend the upgrades but do what the customer wants (within reason) as the extra cost of all the upgrades can lose me the job.

I used to worry about getting everything spot on to meet part L but having worked for a large company and seeing that they don't bother I'm not so concerned now. I'll recommend the upgrades but do what the customer wants (within reason) as the extra cost of all the upgrades can lose me the job.

Same here, I always used to quote for everything to meet Part L and was constantly losing jobs for being expensive. I now quote for the basics and recommend upgrades and price them as extras they can choose to accept or not.

Totally agree and do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Back