Heat top half of tank | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heat top half of tank in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

M

Matthen

Hi -
I've got a dual element E7 vented hot water system. Currently, the immersion heater at the bottom heats the tank every night - assuming minimal hot water usage, it uses between 2 and 3 kWh every night. Thing is, I don't use much hot water - I have a dishwasher and electric shower - I imagine I use less than 20 L a day, unless I bath.

If I swap the wiring over, so I only heat the top half of the tank, and then "boost" the bottom when I fancy a bath, will there be a risk of legionella growing in the bottom half of the tank? Top half will be heated to 65*C (ish). I suspect doing this will half the power draw from the cylinder, which could be a significant saving next year.

The main risk with legionella is from a shower anyway - and yours is electric. Even if there were legionella in the water at the bottom of the cylinder, you are drawing off the hot water from the top which, being maintained at 65, won't contain legionella. The water isn't stagnating as you are using some water every day.

In practice, MOST cylinders will have a certain amount of water at the bottom that sits at 40° or so. My inclination is to say that provided the cylinder is genuinely heated through at least once a week there isn't an issue.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Unfortunately I have! Twin immersion with a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks, I have a probe thermometer so...
Replies
Views
G
  • Question
Yes it’s the vent with a standard cylinder...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes that would work in my opinion not a expert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you close the pump valves the pipe will...
Replies
Views
Back