Heating bypass | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating bypass in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

1000027903.jpg

I have what appears to be a bypass in the heating circuit. I have a combi boiler and thermostats on all radiators except one on my front hallway. Is this bypass needed? And if not does it cause any issues? I have one radiator on the top floor where I struggle to get heat despite all my efforts to balance radiators.

Yea that shouldn’t be there

But does it cause any harm? One thing to say it's not needed and another to say it causes specific issues...

Yes slow heat up time higher return temp easy way to tell cap it off temp and see how you go

But does it cause any harm? One thing to say it's not needed and another to say it causes specific issues...
Are you sure its a bypass, the right hand side seems to be disappearing into the floor/ground and might be the flow or return teed from another rad, not ideal maybe but I have two upstairs piped like that with no problems.

The right side goes under and up with a T to the return. I'm not a plumber but that seems to be a bypass pass and I don't see why it would be needed. And it would surely limit flow to the floor above.

Attachments

• 20240707_130644 1~3.jpg
    20240707_130644 1~3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 30
Not convinced thats a bypass
If not then why. It connects flow to return using same gauge pipe. It allows flow to return to boiler without completing the full circuit including the floor above where there are 3 more radiators. I do recall a plumber doing something here during work years ago when radiators started knocking sound at times when heating was running.

If not then why. It connects flow to return using same gauge pipe. It allows flow to return to boiler without completing the full circuit including the floor above where there are 3 more radiators. I do recall a plumber doing something here during work years ago when radiators started knocking sound at times when heating was running.
Maybe your TRV's are on the wrong end?

I know most modern TRV's are bi-directional and some have a directional adjustment but it doesn't always prevent noise in my experience.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Zone 1 does the whole house including...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Problem found, it was a blockage... mostly in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
are you saying they could have come off the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How many rads do you have and if double or...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To be clear, we only have one lounge and it...
Replies
Views
Back