Heating coming on randomly! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating coming on randomly! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, am really banging my head against a brick wall with this one! :crazy: New Valliant Ecotec Plus 838 combi boiler fitted with wireless controller. Control panel displays correct time i.e. a morning time but sometimes with a moon icon instead of the sun icon. Heating randomly comes on, not everyday but sometimes 3 times a day. Gas safe engineer who fitted it changed batteries in control unit but heating still kicked in. 2 days ago he fitted a new control unit to boiler and a new controller. Today heating has come on again. (Temp displayed at 25.5C and 'desired' temp set at 13C) I've re established connection between boiler and controller by pressing the button on front of boiler and the heating stopped. Engineer says there could be interference with the router in the same room as boiler and system may need to be hard wired...at a cost. Before I go down this route has anyone any suggestions as to what else the problem might be? Incidentally, there is also a wireless house alarm installed but apparently this should be on a different frequency anyway... Thank you for reading!

Weather here down south was hot and 25.5C displayed on room controller. Desired temp set at 13C so heating shouldn't have come on? Programmed to 'Auto' now with those values but when it was set to Summer Mode the heating still came on. Engineer said the communication between room controller and boiler is being lost somewhere as sometimes it displays 'No radio comms'

As above, try turning your pre heat off, on your boiler its called comfort mode, you will have a C in your display to indicate that its on. If it is on, turn it off for a few days and see if you get the same problem.
Also might be worth giving vaillant a call as some wireless controls have a fail safe mode when they lose connection which will automatically bring on the heating, or put the controller in the same room as the boiler if your still losing connection with new controls you'll then need to eliminate other wireless interference as you've mentioned, including wireless door bells.

As above, try turning your pre heat off, on your boiler its called comfort mode, you will have a C in your display to indicate that its on. If it is on, turn it off for a few days and see if you get the same problem.
Also might be worth giving vaillant a call as some wireless controls have a fail safe mode when they lose connection which will automatically bring on the heating, or put the controller in the same room as the boiler if your still losing connection with new controls you'll then need to eliminate other wireless interference as you've mentioned, including wireless door bells.

Thanks for replying. Mode is on Auto as set by engineer. Boiler is in an upstairs room where our router is and room controller downstairs in hall where wireless house alarm is. We already changed the wireless doorbell (also in hall) to a hardwired thinking that might make a difference but it hasn't! Have had to put room controller in our bedroom for now as seems to be the only 'safe' place. I like a warm house but with recent weather at 27C really don't want heating taking it up to 30C as it has been!! :sweatdrop:

Check the hot water pre-heat as advised. Might as well rule out the basics before getting into more complex investigations..

Check the hot water pre-heat as advised. Might as well rule out the basics before getting into more complex investigations..

Thanks Masood, but how do I do that? Read instructions and nothing in there...Engineer didn't tell me how to do anything...

Its in the user manual
If you dont have it google Vaillant ecotec plus user manual

Thanks Masood, but how do I do that? Read instructions and nothing in there...Engineer didn't tell me how to do anything...

It's on pages 19 and 38 of your manual. It requires you to be in Installer Mode to change this setting -

DO NOT ALTER ANY OTHER SETTING!!!

Seriously - you can cause severe damage to the boiler and / or your safety and wellbeing if you mess with parameters you don't fully understand.

Thank you to all who've offered advice. I've decided I really shouldn't alter anything on boiler as such a new installation. As heating came on twice yesterday I must get it sorted (probably hardwired) as I fear for my next electricity bill! I will contact an engineer, a different one, as my installer now isn't answering my messages! Appreciate you all spending the time to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
That is true - however with Vaillant...
Replies
Views
Assuming ita a combi boiler then you can set...
Replies
Views
Back