Heating guys, what would you do next? | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating guys, what would you do next? in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Customer has one rad not heating up, sort of tepid. Worked before, no work has been done in between.

It's a combi. Rad in question has a TRV so changed the TRV to rule that out. Still tepid.

Turned all the other rads in the house off at their TRV's and it got nice and hot. Left it like that for a bit while I changed a bog seat. Then turned all rads back on, it became tepid again. The rad in the room next to it struggling too.

House has 3 rads and a combi downstairs, 4 rads upstairs. All other rads got hot inc other two upstairs.

What would you try next? And if that didn't work what would you try after that?

Thanks

Balance the system would be my next aswell

Cool, balancing. Universal agreement. Thanks all.

Just out of curiosity though, are you saying that a system that was working fine (apparently) can later need balancing despite no work being done/alterations occuring in meantime? i.e. a RE-balancing?

Or are you presuming there's some confusion/bullshit going on/ignore what they say and just deal with the system as you find it type thing?

I always ask people if things worked before, come to think of it they always say yes.

I always find they bend the truth will come out later saying that one doesn’t heat up fully or been temperamental

The pump could be weak
Sludge or partial blockage

they always say it use to work and try havevt touched anything 🤣🤣

Check pump on boiler.
Remove bleed screw and check if you can stop the pump spinning with a screwdriver.
( with gentle or minimal force)
If so, replace pump, or if you can source a capacitor, replace that.

If the pump has some force when you try to stop the spindle, balancing the system or try replacing rad valves on affected rads.

Then again, customers will sometimes tell porky's about existing problems

WaterTight said:

I always ask people if things worked before, come to think of it they always say yes.
Of course it worked. Until they noticed it didn't. The point at which they noticed was, in their minds, the point it stopped working. But they may have noticed instantly or it may never have worked but they didn't notice, therefore they believed it did work until as above.

If the customer is a reliable narrator, it could be some rust has lodged at the lockshield valve on the radiator in question and is restricting flow.

It's not something I have seen happen myself (EDIT or have I now I think about it?), but I can imagine it is something that might happen.

If so, you could try noting the current setting of the lockshield valve, then opening it with the system running and with the other rads shut down and then restore its current setting. Doing this may serve to blast the rust that my be partially obstructing the lockshield to somewhere else where it hopefully won't cause a nuisance.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Best to remove the rad and put a hose pipe on...
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Zone 1 does the whole house including...
Replies
Views
Back