Heating not working! | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating not working! in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A

AnnNeedsHelp

I had a new Vaillant ecoTEC plus boiler only fitted in the summer. However, come home to find heating not working! It appears to heat the water but radiators cold. I've checked the pump is making the right sort of noise.... so I suspect it must be the diverter valve? I've tried to contact my fitter (always a stressful experience). Any ideas what it could be .... and costs involved? I may then try and find somebody on here if not response from htg engineer. Thanks for prompt reply. Ann

I had a new Vaillant ecoTEC plus boiler only fitted in the summer. However, come home to find heating not working! It appears to heat the water but radiators cold. I've checked the pump is making the right sort of noise.... so I suspect it must be the diverter valve? I've tried to contact my fitter (always a stressful experience). Any ideas what it could be .... and costs involved? I may then try and find somebody on here if not response from htg engineer. Thanks for prompt reply. Ann
try turning up the room stat or aSK FOR HEAT AT BOILER

Hi, have played with thermostat. The Honeywell control shows option for heating and hot water separately. On the boiler screen it shows heating disabled if I have it on, however, shows radiator on if I have on water but it does not heat radiators

I DON'T THING YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR BOILER,i feel a better understanding of how it operates would help try your installer.. say your not sure on how to work it.he should offer to show you,as he should have explained at the installation

I don't think it is the boiler. As it is heating water. It's been working ok since installation. I think therefore it must be diverter valve not diverting hot water to the radiators!

I don't think it is the boiler that needs repair it is under guarantee. I think the reason could be diverter valve as I have hot water but it is not diverting heat to radiators. Or don't I understand how it works? My question is .... if people think this could be the problem.... how much are diverter valves... and roughly how much to install.

I doubt it's the valve tbh.

Daft question but as already said check controls are calling for hear and do you have sufficient pressure in system.

No...... I dont think its the boiler.... its working .... its the heating thats not working!!!! Boiler gives hot water BUT it is not heating the radiators.... My questions is do you think this must be diverter valve?? If so, how much does diverter cost (basic) and roughly how long/much to install??

run the hot water if the end left hand pipe under your boiler the flow gets hot or warm about a foot away from the boiler while the hot water is running or the radiator nearest the boiler then its the divertor valve otherwise its something else and you need someone gsr to look at it

The boiler is on the wall in the kitchen - there are no 'down pipes'. The pipes all all the controls are pump, divertor are hot and hot water available BUT not heating radiators.

Not likely to be the boiler if the hot water is working and is a recent installation. I t is more than likely to be external controls i.e. programmer or thermostat

I think many people here are confused.

From my understanding this is not a combi boiler, it is a standard system boiler that you have installed, with a hot water cylinder.

If this is the case then you are correct in that if the hot water is working, the boiler is ok and the problem lies elsewhere.

This could be caused by faulty controls (thermostat, programmer) or the diverter valve.

You could give us your location, so that someone nearby can give you accurate diagnosis/quote and repair the problem.

very difficult to diagnoes a problem when someone says" i have a boiler on the wall in the kitchen am getting hot water but no heating" what type of boiler what make model ect and the person decribing the problem is not an engineer sorry but would you ring up the vets and say ave got this animal with a bad cough do you no whats causing the cough no cos he doesnt no what animal it is

ecotec pro plus they do in a combi and conventional

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i took it for granted it was a combi,but i still believe it.s a control issue rather than a fault.although i'm not familiar with valliaNTS I WOULD EXPECT some kind of fault code etc

Thank you Anz.

You have grasped the issue perfectly. Since my last post my engineer has made contact (Thank God!) hence delay in responding. He agrees most probably diverter or programmer. He will be bringing both at the weeknd ... hurrah!! Thanks to all for responding.... off to get another blanket and glass of wine to keep warm. Take care.

sorry didn't know there was combi and condensing of same ecoTEC model. Hence expected the experts to ask for clarification. I was responding to post asking me to check pipes down from boiler.....! The trouble with threads.... not everybody goes back to read comments .

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for that - it's now sorted.
Replies
Views
Pump/feed/expansion are piped/in wrong...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Back