Heating Oil Fire Valves | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating Oil Fire Valves in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rockhopper

Dear All

I have a question relating to the use of fire valves in a oil fired system.

I currently have a worcester oil boiler and new oil feed coming nto the house which was commissioned 12 months ago.

I would like to install a oil stove centrally in my house. The feed from the stove will have to come from the nearby the boiler which is about 3 to 4m away. The boiler is protected by a fire valve....etc.

Do i need a new fire valve for the stove, the stove is close to the boiler and would the existing boiler fire valve be sufficent. If i do need a new one does the valve need to go outside or can it be located next to the existing boiler near where i will T off the boiler supply. For example a fire on the stove would result in the oil supply at the T closing, should a fire then spread to the boiler it own fire valve will come into working.

I am specifically asking as it is really going to be a pain in the butt to get a new fire valve from the new stove to the external pipes (dont want to have to rip up floors and plaster walls to hide the fire valve....etc.)

I have also seen some fire with the valves located very near the fire?

Any advice would be appreciated.

James

whats the craic.
as the name suggests _firevalve- is installed to prevent fire tracing back to oil storage tank for obvious reasons.u are ok with the one valve as long as u have your t off to other burner after the valve.{not on tank side of firevalve} hope this helps:eek:

No You are not o.k to tee off. You need a separate fire valve for the heater. OTHERWISE THE HOUSE CAN BURN MERRILY BEFORE THE HEAT REACHES THE BOILER FIRE VALVE

fatoftheland, thats what i thought...the BS indicates i need 2 valves, can the stove valve be located inside the house after the T are does it need to go outside alongside the boiler valve

fat of land . please nexplain the comment of house burning better please.don t6 get the comment. how ??

Hope this helps - the point of the fire valve is to cut the flow of oil from the oil tank. When the valve is triggered from the heat it closes and stops more oil supplying the fire.

If the fire is raging in the stove the heat in the boiler won't be sufficient to trigger the valve. (As you want it of course or it wouldn't work!)

If the oil stove it goes out of control and the carpet starts burning, the heat won't be sufficient to trigger the boiler valve which is 3-4m away. Only when the whole carpet is burning (and room) will the heat be enough to trigger the fire valve in the boiler.

And all the while till this is happening, more oil is coming into the room.

OK messages understood, still the questions lingers.....does my 2nd fire valve need to go onto the external pipe alongside my first (boiler) fire valve or can the valve be installed next to where i T off the main boiler supply (adjacent to the boiler in my utility room). If i can put the 2nd valve inside (see picccie attached) it would be hell of a lot easier!

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 20
Hmmm - I think it might be better to Tee outside and run the new pipe around the house and come in through the wall next to the stove (complete with fire valve).

This of course might not be possible but I feel it would be sensible to keep the oil lines outside the house as much as you can. If you get an oil leak in the house - and it is not impossible - (forgetting the fire risk for a moment) it will create a nasty mess and clear up costs could mount up, especially if you don't notice the leak and it works its way to a nearby drain. The water authorities, Natural England, DEFRA and so on would be on to you for as much as your insurance could bear and imprisonment isn't out of the question either.

I personally don't like the thought of oil lines running under the floor where they can't be checked from time to time.

Hope this isn't too negative.

Probably the best bet would be to ask an OFTEC registered company (or technician) for some advice - they should carry a card like CORGI people and if they say they need to take further advice let them. There are quite a few things to think about.

Whatever happens in the end, it's not impossible to have your stove and when it's in enjoy it. They're lovely and cosy!!

All fire valves should be outside the building, The sensor on the valve should be led inside to the appliance. One valve per appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Z
Need more details. What boiler, what burner...
Replies
Views
Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
First question do you need additives? Fuel...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It’s fine that rule was scrapped as you...
Replies
Views
Back