Heating Problem.Price query | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating Problem.Price query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yellowpinky

Hi all,my system is sludged up and i`ve been quoted £1143 by BG for;
1 x Pump
2 x Valves
Drain/powerflush/bleed..
22mm magnetic something fitted to the boiler...

This seems really expensive as i can get the valves/pump for 150 and rent a powerflusher for 100 if i was a qualified plumber...

Can anyone please advise on this..

Also being xmas most plumbers are stacked out but i`ve found a guy who is free monday who said he could put in the valves/pump add something to the system to help it move a bit better and bleed...Then come back after xmas to powerflush....
Is this worth doing or am i just going to have new valves/pump with contaminated water running through them....

I`m still getting heat round the house but not more than 19 degrees...

I have a traditional system with an ideal boiler drayton za5 valves,not sure which pump and i`m running 11 rads...

BG are ripoff merchants, when are people gonna learn? Get the work done.

Only thing i would say, is that depending on the chemical, it seems an awful long time to leave it in between Monday and after Xmas. If its proper Powerflushing chemical (x800) it can be left for a week maximum. If its not, then it prob wont work. If he's using a system restorer then a power flushing chemical on the day, it should be okay.

Find out exactly what chemicals he's putting in.

BG are ripoff merchants, when are people gonna learn? Get the work done.

Only thing i would say, is that depending on the chemical, it seems an awful long time to leave it in between Monday and after Xmas. If its proper Powerflushing chemical (x800) it can be left for a week maximum. If its not, then it prob wont work. If he's using a system restorer then a power flushing chemical on the day, it should be okay.

Find out exactly what chemicals he's putting in.

Thanks for the reply,,I`m not sure what chemical he was putting in,i think he thought my system was really clogged and not heating my house at all as he said pump/valves replaced bleed and add something to the system that should get things going he said..then back after crimbo to flush...My head is telling me he said furnex or something similar,does this exist??

some of the sludge removers are fine to leave in over time as the arent as aggressive as the power flush chems, just read the bottle and check first, they work as well if left to break down the sludge into suspension in the water ready to flush thro. may find new pump and normal drain and flush post xmas and you dont need the power flush either. BG and others do like to flog power flushing but its a bit like dyno rod who love to jet flush your drains at££££££££££££££££££ cost, when all you need is a few rods and job done.

If your system really is that badly sludged, then you will probably have several radiators that only get hot at the top. The rest of the rad is filled with sludge and will not heat up. A chemical and powerflush alone will not touch this issue. There is a technique needed (!) I wouldn't replace the pump and valves until the system is clear - filters are needed for this process. If your pump is manging to circulate under these conditions then it is managing well enough but will need to be replaced when the system is clean. You'll have to trust the advice of the plumber who can see the system. Wouldn't trust BG tho.......

standard price for a powerflush is going to be between 400-600, it takes all day to do properly you need to flush whole system, drain, flush each rad individually, loosening the metal deposits while agitating with either a rubber mallet or the sds attachment, then flush the whole system through again and drain. its very laborious and NO don't replace any valves or pumps until after the system has been cleaned, and certainly don't replace them unless they aren't working, you can clean the pumps out while the system is drained down. Fit a magnaclean before firing up the system and check if it needs emptying every few days after the flush.

Where do you live Yellowpinky? You might find somebody here who will give you much better price and can do it in short time.

Bit too far away for us and stacked out at the moment . You should pay about 1/2 BG's quote for a proper job. However you should be able to find a local plumber who can quickly flush with mains water for less than this. In most cases this and the new pump would solve the circulation problems.

If you,ve got a microbore system you could be in a spot of bovver! Mate of mine spent 3 days power flushing an m/bore system prior to a boiler swap. It still didn't clear all the lower pipe drops. He ended up upsizing the drops to 15mm & replacing the rad!

done exactly this job this weekend. New pump valves, Lockshield, power flush. not pump or magnetic filter. i think you could get it done by a decent engineer for atleast half the price.

please post in the correct section for a fourm member near you to give you a quote.

welcome to the forum.

done exactly this job this weekend. New pump valves, Lockshield, power flush. not pump or magnetic filter. i think you could get it done by a decent engineer for atleast half the price.

please post in the correct section for a fourm member near you to give you a quote.

welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies,have got a guy coming today to drain the system and check for airlocks,will add a chemical and take it from there...won't be changing pump or valves until system is clean as no point he said which was mentioned up above at some point...thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
This was indeed the case, picked up a new zone...
Replies
Views
Back