Heating working, hot water not (until tap turned on) | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating working, hot water not (until tap turned on) in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

Berger

Hi

Wonder if there is a simple solution to this, before I have to call a professional in?
  • Potterton Performa 28 combi boiler
  • Heating works fine
  • Timer works fine
Now we're in Spring, I only want hot water (not heating) to kick in in the morning. So I moved the switch to hot water only. Woke up next day, and it had not kicked in on the timer. Timer was moving round ok.
  • moved back to "heating & water" with the timer, and it kicked in fine
  • Put timer up to constant, moved it over to hot water only - nothing
  • Turned hot taps on - hot water light comes on and boiler kicks in - however this does not solve my problem, as the water this way only ever gets lukewarm, and takes 5 minutes to do that!
  • Wall thermostat in front room works fine (presume this is irrelevant to my problem, but have tried it anyway with that one turned up, so it's not overriding anything like it would the heating)
Any ideas much appreciated

Cheers

Marc

Is your hot water stat set correctly (knob on boiler panel)?

If it is, it sounds like a thermostat or flow switch problem or limescale problem - you will need to get a technician to look at it.

Thanks. Not sure what this looks like, but I'll have a look-see. (Can you tell I'm not a plumber?) ;)

Oh, do you mean the two temperature knobs controlling hot water and heating temperatures? On the exterior? Yes, they're both set fairly high

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need a tech. There should be a small amount of stored hot water in the boiler and the boiler should kick in when the flow starts. If the water is heating up but not hot enough it is likely to be a thermostat / mixing valve / limescale problem, all of which need a technician. Are you in a hard water area?

sounds like diverter valve with poss plate heat exchanger scaled up as well
you need to get an engineer out as not really poss to diagnose boiler problems over the internet

yes, hard apparently. Although not 'very hard'

OK, thanks for the advice guys. One final question then - I had this boiler serviced by a Gas Safe engineer a month ago (who also sorted a drain problem I had). His co-worker took about 10 minutes to service the boiler, which I thought seemed very quick, and not many parts seemed to come out for inspection, seemed more like a look-see, hoover & clean. I did ask is that all there was to it, and was assured everything was fine.

Clearly, I don't know exactly what the problem is, but should this not have been picked up at the service? (I wasn't using hot water only at the time, so wasn't aware it might be an issue)

thats like saying my car woulnt start this morning it was only mot ed a month ago,things can go wrong over night.
But like wise not nowing exactly what he did its hard to say.
Try to find an engineer through family or friends recommendation if you have your doubts,most of us are consciencious and look after our custards,but its amazing the damage that thecowboys and scamsters do to us reputable gas men.
Good luck
Paul

just had a look at mi s service straight foward enough but i recon it would take 30-45 mins to do properly from start to finnish with gas rate/bp and tightness test!

yes, hard apparently. Although not 'very hard'

OK, thanks for the advice guys. One final question then - I had this boiler serviced by a Gas Safe engineer a month ago (who also sorted a drain problem I had). His co-worker took about 10 minutes to service the boiler, which I thought seemed very quick, and not many parts seemed to come out for inspection, seemed more like a look-see, hoover & clean. I did ask is that all there was to it, and was assured everything was fine.

Clearly, I don't know exactly what the problem is, but should this not have been picked up at the service? (I wasn't using hot water only at the time, so wasn't aware it might be an issue)

simple answer no.
service does not take long on a basic Potterton boiler, anton reading, TT, working, burning pressure, clean, check safety valves and basic check of flame picture, flue and any seals, basic checks
Honest it dont take long, there is no fixed time limit.

Interesting although you all say it's straight-forward (and clearly could have gone wrong since the service), general thinking is 30mins-1hour for the service. He took 15 mins max.

So as I cannot prove he missed stuff, and therefore won't be able to get him back to fix whatever's wrong F.O.C., I shall get someone else in. He was on recommendation from someone I know, but there you go.

So they should leave a gas certificate too?

Interesting although you all say it's straight-forward (and clearly could have gone wrong since the service), general thinking is 30mins-1hour for the service. He took 15 mins max.

So as I cannot prove he missed stuff, and therefore won't be able to get him back to fix whatever's wrong F.O.C., I shall get someone else in. He was on recommendation from someone I know, but there you go.

So they should leave a gas certificate too?

yes on the certificate,that is the law:eek:amazed you did not get one

I dont see how it can take an hour for a simple gas service on a combi boiler.:rolleyes:

and if i told you it takes an hour and half to service a bermuda you probably would not see that either are you a GSR BECAUSE IF YOU CANT SEE WHY IT TAKES A HOUR TO SERVICE A COMBI YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Mark, fancy a trip to the Midlands?

(no disrespect, Intergas, I have no idea personally, just knew whatever happened at mine was too rapid)

no been up there to much recently,seriously a hour is needed to service,gas test(tightness)on the boiler,and do the certificate if its done quicker its not being done properly in regards to faults thats the way it is with combis,on the plus side the plus side the performas a good boiler and should be easy for some one who knows what there doing to sort out:)

15 minutes is nothing lol, walk in the house.... introduce yourself, tightness test, 15 minutes gone straight away. thats before you take cover off - gas analyse, clean boiler, gas rate, etc etc finish off with a tightness again (always check twice due to some rogue customers trying to blame me for gas leaks, "it wasnt leaking before" etc etc). looking an hour and thats in and out with no chatting and my handwriting looking like it belongs to a spider B)

15 minutes is nothing lol, walk in the house.... introduce yourself, tightness test, 15 minutes gone straight away. thats before you take cover off - gas analyse, clean boiler, gas rate, etc etc finish off with a tightness again (always check twice due to some rogue customers trying to blame me for gas leaks, "it wasnt leaking before" etc etc). looking an hour and thats in and out with no chatting and my handwriting looking like it belongs to a spider B)

my point exactly,with other problems thrown in it could go over a hour

I would be suprised if you made any money in a days work.
You should be able to perform tests with your eyes closed.
I never said 15mins was okay I stated an hour is just a little to long for a combi boiler.
Look i aint going to get into an argument about times I am just saying you can quote the regs all day long, Ill remind you when you allow 4mbr and pass off okay so please dont quote your 10min regs okay :)

so no 15mins is not long enough to perform a safe assesment, but if your happy with your hour go for it, there again we are normally paired up for the rough areas so although it takes us around 20mins, x2 = 40mins is more than enough.
I dont have a problem if it takes you an hour some people struggle with regulations and gas rates and thats okay :)

ahhh I see the problem your in wales lol, very laid back people down there, I can understand why it takes you 15mins to introduce yourself :)

I would be suprised if you made any money in a days work.
You should be able to perform tests with your eyes closed.
I never said 15mins was okay I stated an hour is just a little to long for a combi boiler.
Look i aint going to get into an argument about times I am just saying you can quote the regs all day long, Ill remind you when you allow 4mbr and pass off okay so please dont quote your 10min regs okay :)

so no 15mins is not long enough to perform a safe assesment, but if your happy with your hour go for it, there again we are normally paired up for the rough areas so although it takes us around 20mins, x2 = 40mins is more than enough.
I dont have a problem if it takes you an hour some people struggle with regulations and gas rates and thats okay :)

ahhh I see the problem your in wales lol, very laid back people down there, I can understand why it takes you 15mins to introduce yourself :)

lol park outside property, knock door, introduce, go to boiler, 4 minute test and then take cover off. thats 15 minutes, not just to introduce myself but pick out what you want to justify whatever you want to post matey. Not arguing with anyone either, just saying for us to properly service a boiler it takes about an hour. I like to do the job properly.

worcestors are quick to service and they still take most of an hour to do it properly, i dont struggle with gas rates pal, i just do them, 2 tightness tests cover me checking the property when i arrive and when i leave thats 8 minutes.

bloody hell im getting worse than you for counting the minutes.

end of day youve said you can service in 15 minutes, thats fine.

i cant it takes me longer. mainly a hour booked into doing it. 70 quid. 8 hours at doing that 560 quid a day, thats if i dont find any faults that need rectifying which will be charged more.

if thats not earning money then perhaps i should come down london where 15 minute services are the way forward...

dont want to get into a debate about who services what and how quick - each to there own.

have a nice day.

Anyone doing oil boilers will know that some boilers you can be straight in and out, and others can take ages.

Similar plumbing topics

The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
John Thank you for all your help, changed the...
Replies
Views
Back