Heating Zone for Every Room? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating Zone for Every Room? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

B

Boatist

Hello all.

We are currently building an extension on our house and will have a 4 bedroom house when it's all done. We've never had central heating, so as part of the project we're putting a brand new heating system in the whole house. We want to do as much of the work ourselves as we can, but could really use some advice...

I have attached a drawing of what I've dreamt up and would really appreciate some comments. We had this (maybe mad) idea of having 8 heating zones in the house, with programmable room stats in most rooms, and some smaller radiators on TRV's. Different parts of the house get used through the morning, day and evening so multiple zones would work well for us. I've done bits of plumbing before and electrics are easy for me, but there's a ton I don't know here!

Will the pump in a combi boiler cope with this system? Can I really do that with the return pipework!? Will the extra pipe losses make the whole thing pointless? :crazy:

Thanks so much for your help!

I hope this attachment works...
View attachment central-heating.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a little OTT, Loads of expensive materials and complicated for small gain. Have a look at zoning each floor with TRV's on each radiator. I am not saying it won't work, just look at the gains against the work involved and operation for the user, with all those programmable room stats.

Thanks for the comments! I hadn't heard of the HR20's. If they work well then that would be a huge saving on the system. It looks like there's no way to tell the boiler when to fire if there's simply one HR20 on every radiator though. And the smaller radiators (en-suite etc) will need valves also. I'll spend some time delving deeper into that honeywell brochure!

The common return looked questionable to me too... Anything to save pipe.

Read the Honeywell link Mike posted. That will tell you how to control it and what additional parts you need.

If you commoned your return on the way you have drawn the system your rads will back heat.

Hope your stayin in the property for a few years would any one like to work out the payback time, i had a guy last week wanting to change his open vented system working great to an unvented with each room zoned, OMG he was planning in selling in 5 years he would never get his dosh back or would the buyers pay more because each room was zoned ? worth thinking about, same goes for solar pannels, one other point with regards to zoning you tend to get cold rooms and warm rooms i still believe in keeping the fabrication of the house warm during the winter months boiler then just ticks along. what do you guys think

Thanks Tamz, that's good to know... haha yes we'll be here for a while yet. Not expecting it to pay back really, just be as efficient as it can while still being comfortable to live in.

I'm having trouble finding radiator manifold systems. I've seen the "speedfit energy saver plus", but I guess you need to contact them direct to design it for you? Obviously simple manifolds are easy to find, but something with actuators that's for Rads and not UFH?

instead of wasting money on 8 zones? why not put in solar panels and a thermal store to be a bit greener and then you might gain something that you will appreciate in the long term. A warm house for lots of money saved, get some expert advice in and youll benefit in the long term.

lol. That's almost exactly what we've got now Vern. I should just leave it alone right?
Lol I do a lot of this stuff.......

scrap the combi.....you need a system boiler with an unvented cylinder, assuming house not bungalow, 3 zones being downstairs, upstairs, hot water, TRV's on all rads except where programmable stats etc add 4 th zone for UFH manifold if required.....
remember a combi cannot produce ANY heat to any zones whilst hot water is being drawn off....think off all the baths, showers, sinks and occupants too, also that many combi's have an anti cycle delay so won't return to heating straight away after a sentinel point has been used!

Honestly, if you're starting from scratch, go with a system boiler, unvented cylinder (twin coil to add solar later if desired), heating installed on a manifold. Possibly have underfloor heating downstairs if your house is sufficiently insulated.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There are 7 manifolds total. I”m no expert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Might be worth testing with two zones off try...
Replies
Views
  • Question
We currently have the ground floor wet UFH and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The pin is in the part of the valve still...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, hope this is okay to post. Just over...
Replies
Views
Back