Hello all GSR plumbers | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Old Account
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2K

Discuss Hello all GSR plumbers in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

Last week I was for an interview for a plumbing company and we had a chat about my situation. I have told him that I have to finisz my portfolio to be considered for the final exam. He looked at me and asked me what portfolio ? I just told him that you will need to make pictures on site where you fit a flue pipe and all sort of stuff. He said thats not true he sent 2 weeks ago 2 guys for the course and they didnt have to do the portfolio. So, now my question is that wrong what he said or it depends on which course you go and what sort of school it is ? I assume he is wrong its nnow normal to do your portfolio isnt it ?

did he pay some money as there are courses that do it in house, i would stick to what your doing

He mentioned they went also for a course to a school even though I think its a must to do your portfolio as everybody has to show some work on site minimum 12 weeks you will need to work on site next to your boss who is signing it off ( portfolio ) ,

I already done it last year december and still stuck with my portfolio only chimney ( spillage test , cooker missing ) :(

If you have done a NVQ lvl2 in plumbing you would have already done a portfolio so won't need to do one for your gas. I did the C&G 6129 in plumbing so I had the headache of the portfolio. You can do it in 3 days if you are willing to pay but most take longer ( mine took nearly 8 months ).

If you have done a NVQ lvl2 in plumbing you would have already done a portfolio so won't need to do one for your gas. I did the C&G 6129 in plumbing so I had the headache of the portfolio. You can do it in 3 days if you are willing to pay but most take longer ( mine took nearly 8 months ).

unfortnuately I had to as I am a german citizen therefore I have NVQ level 3 but my gas certificate they didnt consider as relevant as we have got different regulations.

I have done also vented and unvented systems in germany but i will need to have G3 to work on tchem isnt it true ?

This isn't true, a plumbing portfolio and a gas portfolio are completely different. You need a plumbing portfolio for the level 2 plumbing but for gas you need a gas portfolio with gas work only. There not interested in if you can actually plumb. They just want to see that you have worked safely on enough appliances and are safe to work with gas. some of the fast track gas guys I've met have no understanding of a central heating system but are legally allowed to fit boilers so purely do servicing

unfortnuately I had to as I am a german citizen therefore I have NVQ level 3 but my gas certificate they didnt consider as relevant as we have got different regulations.

I have done also vented and unvented systems in germany but i will need to have G3 to work on tchem isnt it true ?

Yes you need G3, it's a day at a test centre so you shouldn't have any problems if you have been used to fitting them. You then need to register to a proffesional body to notify them. Gas safe allow you to notify.

If you are a Category 2, ie a time served person in an associated trade you don't do a gas portfolio, if you are a category 3 with no previous linked qualifications then you do a gas portfolio,

If you are a Category 2, ie a time served person in an associated trade you don't do a gas portfolio, if you are a category 3 with no previous linked qualifications then you do a gas portfolio,

As soon as I arrived in London I started plumbing, I never changed the job or had a long break in between so what sort of category am I ?

It's hard to know all rules and regulations in London ( for me as a foreign person ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Did the op get an invoice before payment ?
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
Back