hello all....i would be grateful for your help please.... | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter eyeahmed
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 2K

Discuss hello all....i would be grateful for your help please.... in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eyeahmed

Hello all

many thanks for reading my post. I also posted this on the tile forum but was advised to post it on this one. I recently had my gas central heating and bathroom fitted. all seemed to be well until the bath started to creak. the contractor advised that it was normal for a acrylic bath to creak unfortunately it got worse and i phoned the bath manufacturer who advised that the bath had not been installed correctly. the plumber came out and agreed to take off the tiled bath panel. Whilst taking it off he cracked the arcylic bath. after getting over that we then incidently discovered water under the bath. I seems that they didnt seal the bath and the water is pouring in from the side of the bath. In addition i thought that they were suppossed to build a wooden frame around the bath which it sits in. this wasnt done and now their purposing that they will take all the silicone seal off. fill the bath with water and then re-seal it.

with regards to the creaking in the bath they have rectified this by tightening the leg which the bath sits on. it seems to have done the trick. they also plan to now place a removable panel which will be tiled and then fixed with 4 screws.

i would accept what they have said but I am really worried as on saturday one of the push fittings came off the main inlet pipe coming from the mains water and going to the central heating boiler. As a result 2 of the flats below me were flooded. they have agreed to get their own company insurance to sort out the damage to the properties below. they have admitted the fault claiming that the push fitting was fitted to an old stainless steel pipe and it should only be used on hep pipping on copper. I asked them to hard pipe it and replace the push fittings but they have refused claming that the push fittings are just as good. I am worried that putting a push fitting coming off a mains outlet pipe is asking allot. also I am not sure if i believe them but i can't afford to get another plumber in to do it.

I would be grateful for any advice as to what I should do and what they have said sounds correct. I live on a top floor flat and feel dreadful that my flat flooded my neighbours. i would be grateful for any help and would like to thank everyone in advance.

issac​

push fit on stainless steel pipe......what cowboys!

You are the customer, you should tell them what you want not the other way around. as for the bath it should have timber battons fitted to the walls on all sides and a frame at the open/front end to stop movement.

post some pictures please.

First of all no bath should creak, there can be a few causes but most competent plumbers know what they are and can fit the bath to overcome them.
Secondly the manufacturers advise how to fit a bath in their instructions that come with the bath, you dont need to fit a frame around the bath but I personally fit a frame on the outside of the bath to support both end corners and also give some stability to the bath panel. I also fit a batten on the wall to support the bath so it wont move.
How have they overcome the crack they put in it.
Yes they are right the bath should be filled with water and then sealed with silicone and allowed to dry at least overnight or .
Pushfit fittings are ok if they have been installed correctly.
Have you paid them yet.

Hi there

many thanks for your replies. I am so grateful. i actually havent paid them yet. I was just about to when the creaking in the bath got worse. my main concern is with the push fits on the main inflow. basically the main pipe coming into the house as an isolator and then a hepa pipe comes off that and then splits into 2 (with a push fit). One hepa pipe goes to supply the gas boiler and the other to the cold water tap in the kitchen. i just think that all the pressure from the mains is asking alot from that push fit. and the reason the flats got so badily flooded was that the shear water pressure that came from the mains was so high that it caused so much damage ( plus i wasnt in). would others do the same or would you pipe it with copper and soldier the connections (apologies for the lack of my technical knowledge).

the timber battons have only been put on the side where the bath panel was attached. not anywhere else. i will post up the pictures. photo8.jpgcentral heating pipe work.jpgcentral heating pipework 2.jpgphoto1.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpgphoto7.jpgphoto5.jpgphoto6.jpg

thanks again for you help.

if they have caused the damage to the bath then demand a new bath. while they change it they can add some support to the bath against the wall. Also i would be worried about the lack of clips on the plastic h+c pipework, should be clipped every 300mm or to manufactures instructions and the waste pipe. also i would expect to see some lagging on the hot and cold pipes.

also make sure no wires lay across any hot pipework as this will damage the cable over time.

Hi eyeahmed.

Sounds like you have had a bit of a nightmare but honestly don't worry about the push fit fittings. As long as they are fitted to copper and plastic pipe (not stainless or chromed as the teeth can't bite into it) they will be absolutely fine. These fittings are designed to withstand pressures much higher than you will ever find in your mains supply. The companies that make them spend a lot on R and D and would never sell them if they weren't suitable (as long as they are properly installed!).

thanks everyone for all your advice and reassuring comments. i would prefer a new bath and for them to put a baton on the back wall but I'm not sure if i could face anymore stress of them doing more damage to the bathroom. i suspect the bath coming out will involve more tiles being damaged and also the bulkhead behind the toilet requiring to be removed.i will post more pictures. the baton that supports the bath what size should it be? the stuff they have used looks very thin?again thank you for all your comments. i am very grateful.issac

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 22
mate the waste pipe looks like it is running up hill where it runs along the length of the bath

The general finish of the bathroom looks to be good but that broken piece of the bath is unbeleivable, he must have really levered it hard with a screwdriver to get the tiled panel off.

I think companies exist that will come to your house and repair a scratched or chip bath (Bath Doctor) they may be able to fix it. Deduct the price from the plumbers bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have recently done a similar job with drop...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
It's likely 3/4" in pipe not 22mm. You likely...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Turn the waste fitting 45 so the angled...
Replies
Views
Back