hello and a question | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter TD85
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 1K

Discuss hello and a question in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TD85

Hi all

Just a quick hello and a question (apologise if the question is in the wrong part). I’m potentially new to the plumbing world. I currently work as a Financial Advisor for a bank and new rules mean we need to raise our qualification level (which i fully support and am still studying) but as I have had enough of the, industry and am in the studying frame of mind I was thinking about retraining as a plumber once i have passed the diploma. I have booked an appointment to see a company called, New Career Skills. I was wondering if they are any good and what the career is like. I would rather be putting in a shift seeing an end product then sitting behind a desk. At 25 though am I to old to change and if the qualification is right would I get "laughed at" when applying for jobs?

Feedback much appreciated

Hi TD85 and welcome!!

Hopefully you'll get some responses without waiting too long. If you ask the same question next week the same people who respond will probably give different views then. Ask two weeks on and more different answers from those same people.

The plumbing world has just come out of a fairly busy winter and most of those who've been trading for three or so years have been very busy in the last 4-5 months or so. Some plumbers are just constantly busy and have a 1-2 month waiting list all the time. Other plumbers are now waiting for the next job to come in.

The slow down in the housing market has had a very marked affect on the construction world and at present I'd suggest there are too many tradesmen. I've scribbled this down because it's not plain sailing at all - far from it. If you choose to change to plumbing, good luck though!!

Id be quite happy to sit behind a desk getting regular money every week, Id make my day more interesting, throw screwed up paper at your work mates, look at inapropriate websites all day long, talk to the fit 23yr old that works in the next dept.
The grass isnt always greener.

Your wellcome: Great to see new people in the plumbing industry, but think carefully, because this is not as easy as media and public opinion appears. We get alot of: become a plumber and you can earn loads of money, but in the real world this is not allways the case. Its the usual thing, if you can build the business up through big numbers of work force and deliver quality work you might make it big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If poss i would run to outside to stack.
Replies
Views
Thanks for the replies guys all makes sense...
Replies
Views
I'd actually agree with this but it's the...
Replies
Views
Back