Hello and oh dear! | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter allGreek2Me
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 934

Discuss Hello and oh dear! in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

allGreek2Me

I've joined the forum as my boiler has just quit on me. I'd forgotten how cold a cold shower actually is!

I've no knowledge of boilers but I now know enough to say that I've got the wrong one (Idea isar HE type). Apparently these are particularly poor boilers.

Symptoms:
No control panel display. All fuses ok. Power traced to input of control board.

I'm an electronics engineer so I figure I could have a poke around on the control board but everything I've read seems to point to purchasing a new control unit, getting through the winter and then buying a better boiler.

I hadn't realised how little is known about the control boards in boilers. It appears that the manufactures are very good at not releasing any details.

It seems that the control boards can be bought a lot cheaper on ebay. Has anyone had any experience of doing this?

Cheers,

allGreek2Me

I've joined the forum as my boiler has just quit on me. I'd forgotten how cold a cold shower actually is!

I've no knowledge of boilers but I now know enough to say that I've got the wrong one (Idea isar HE type). Apparently these are particularly poor boilers.

Symptoms:
No control panel display. All fuses ok. Power traced to input of control board.

I'm an electronics engineer so I figure I could have a poke around on the control board but everything I've read seems to point to purchasing a new control unit, getting through the winter and then buying a better boiler.

I hadn't realised how little is known about the control boards in boilers. It appears that the manufactures are very good at not releasing any details.

It seems that the control boards can be bought a lot cheaper on ebay. Has anyone had any experience of doing this?

Cheers,

allGreek2Me

(1)your right manufacturers dont like giving info,(2)your probably right your pcb is dead,make sure the orange one arrives as a replacement,(3)your correct again your boiler is tat,buy a potterton heatmax instead,its Superior to a ideal

I couldn't take another cold shower so I got a man in. £255 for the new control board fitted and guaranteed.

The old board had an obvious transformer fault. It had over heated and, no doubt, shorted one of the windings. Who knows what else got fried with it.

I'll check out the 'potterton heatmax'.

Cheers.

The guy seemed reasonable and he was aware that I'd checked out the web for pricing. Maybe that helped.

I have a question concerning 'Fernox F4' but I guess I should start a thread outside of the 'introductions'.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
  • Question
Seems like they would work, but you’d need the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
The energy market is totally distorted , one...
Replies
Views
Back