Hello everyone...pump heating problem | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter katie666
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 3K

Discuss Hello everyone...pump heating problem in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katie666

I just wanted to say Hello to everyone.
We've developed a problem with our Central heating pump running continuously since replacing the three-way valve. I'm just searching and working my way through past threads to see if I can get some ideas. This is a very informative board so I've added it to my bookmarks folder.

Katie :)

Re: Hello everyone

Hi Katie
Welcome to the forums,hope you enjoy

if pump running all the time maybe system wiring requires double checking or could be a faulty pump over run ,what boiler is it ?

Hi Puddle. The boiler is a Glowworm Ultimate 60ff down in the garage. The pump is a Grundfos selectric in the airing cupboard and the three way valve is a Honeywell (previously a Danfoss HSV). The system was working fine till the engineer (not our usual guy) changed the 3-way valve in early June. All seemed well as we were just running the hot water over the summer. The pump doesn't run when we've just had water on, but since we were putting the CH on a few times last week, my hubby could hear the pump running during the night when the system is shut down and the three-way valve was warm even though all the pipes in the cylinder cupboard were cold. The pump runs on forever after the heating has been on, but will stop immediately if we switch the hot water on and then off again. We had the engineer back on Friday and he said that there is no power to the pump when the CH is switched off. However, even as he was saying this, the pump was vibrating and making a humming sound. He said the vibration must be coming from somewhere else in the house!! As soon as I switched the water on and put it off again, the pump was silent.

PS - should I post this in a different thread to the intro one??

Last edited by a moderator:

He used a meter to check it when the heating was on and when it was off. I couldn't actually see what he was doing though.

Your pump is powered from the boiler which has an over run but if it was tested and had no power the fault is with the mid position valve (noisy motor)
It is the motor inside this you are hearing.
Basically (bit technical ) this is what happens.
When you have heating and water on the valve is in the mid position. When the cylinder stat is satisfied the valve motor moves to the furthest position when it stalls and stays there but is still under power.
When the heating switches off the valve motor is still powered, the valve remains in the CH position but the system is off. This is why the valve feels warm.
When you switch the HW on and off this breaks the power to the motor and the valve returns to the HW side with no power to the motor.

Replace the motor or the valve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome and the help.
Tamz - Thanks for explaining the problem. The valve is under warranty so we'll get the plumber to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
let it cool down first then try it
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Back