hello everyone | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter delboy1960
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 2K

Discuss hello everyone in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

delboy1960

hello 1st time poster,i'm 50 years old and looking for career change and signed up with able skills for C&G 6129 and reading posts for a couple of weeks i'm begining to wonder if i've wasted my money,no work out there,will never get a work placement to do NVQ etc etc.what's the realistic chances of making it as a plumber in the real world, honest opinions please.

Thanks

hello delboy

It is a bit grim out there at the moment, but good luck

Hi Delboy

Welcome to the forums

maybe you will find yourself in the right place at the right time but as said probably will not be easy

Did you do any research before signing up ?

Hi puddles,did research into plumbing courses and chose able skills home study and practical assesments at their workshop due to work commitments, looked quite straightforward-do 6129 tech cert and find employer to get NVQ,then i find this forum and looks like finding work placement is going to be a big problem.

they said to try to do 1st assesment before 31st March,i assume to register for 6129 after that date maybe i'll have to register for 6189

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Delboy1960 and welcome!!

In answer to your question, it's difficult and certainly not an easy ride. I've been going for 3 years and in the last 6 months or so I've had plenty of work but after my first 6 months (when I had plenty of work too) I just had to be patient. Few customers, one or two weeks with no customers and so on.

The attitude I took was my course was the driving test and I would then have to spend ages learning on the job. For example, they don't teach you how to undo a jammed stop tap. Of the 8 on my course, I think I'm the only one who's been successful in working for myself and making profits. Just about all the others went back to previous careers.

I've found there's a world of difference in fixing old peoples' WCs and taps and replumbing a house renovation. The first jobs are quite easy to find and will pay around £50 a trip. The replumbing/new heating day rates for several days or a month or so of work are much more difficult to secure and I've yet to replumb a house off my own back. (I've been lucky to meet an experienced plumber and help him with these jobs.) These latter jobs are what really pull the money in, but until you get a name for yourself, they're essentially non existent.

I also found this last winter did not earn me huge amounts. I was out everyday and had plenty of emergencies but when it's an older lady who's got a burst pipe I haven't the heart to write out a large invoice as she's gone through enough trauma already.

As with any small business, you make your own success and it's hard work if you're going to be successful. I'm not saying you can't do it, but hope that I've indicated that work doesn't just come to you and when there is a job, there's not a huge amount of money involved.

My situation this year is I've been out everyday and been really busy. Next week is all booked up but after that I've no idea what work there is as the phone hasn't rung for a good week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hey Kwak, just wondering how you're getting on...
Replies
Views
Stuarty117
S
Hi martink, Did you finally joined any of the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi Guys, Just come across this site which...
Replies
Views
Stokesy11
S
S
Hi Guys, Just come across this site which...
Replies
Views
Stokesy11
S
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
Back