Hello from Hampshire | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter lewisdale
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 3K

Discuss Hello from Hampshire in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lewisdale

Hi. Joined the site a while Go but never got around to introducing myself
I'm Lewis. Level 2 plumber from near Portsmouth.
Been qualified for about 7 years but mainly been working for plumbing and drainage companies doing reactive works, so am a bit inexperienced when it comes to install etc.
Have recently got a job with a local building company as there plumber. Doing boiler changes, installs etc. Then it all gets signed off afterwards.
Will probably be looking to pick some of your brains in the future if I get stuck with anything
Also up for any local weekend work too if any pops up...

hello and welcome lewis

just a question is there a gas safe engy with you when you do gas works?

Do you know that what your company is doing is encouraging illegal working and putting you and the gsr at serious risk of prosecution leading to a hefty fine and/or imprisonment?

as above unless your with a competent gas safe engy (with gas safe reg) you cant do any gas work, needs to be with you checking/ watching / helping if you have any questions

as above unless your with a competent gas safe engy (with gas safe reg) you cant do any gas work, needs to be with you checking/ watching / helping if you have any questions

Fair enough, however there are hundreds.,possibly thousands of others out there doing the same thing. I have a family to support and works work.
Not justifying it but it is what it is.

best to keep it to yourself in future and get your boss to pay to get you qualified up cosham or down portslade

as above also if you get asked your boss said it was fine/ he told you to do it

Oh dear. Work might be work, but what's it like from the other side of the bars.

You might have been told it's ok, but it's your neck.

Get him to put you through the proper quals.

Also you're pinching work from those qualified to do it who are also looking to support their families. Just because your boss is to tight to pay for more gas Safe engineers. Dangerous game sorry don't agree with this at all

Work is work well illegal is illegal

Last edited:
Also you're pinching work from those qualified to do it who are also looking to support their families. Just because your boss is to tight to pay for more gas Safe engineers. Dangerous game sorry don't agree with this at all

I'm not pinching work from anyone.
I also have a family to support.
I came to introduce myself not get bitched at.
Go pig at the other thousands of people doing the same

I'll go on benefits and let you pay for me, my Mrs and 4 kids and my house

Don't be a tool.

What did you honestly expect?

'I'm doing illegal gas work, give me a pat on the back'

If it means such a big thing then get it sorted so you are doing it legally. FFS.

Wind your neck in sunshine. You're in the wrong.

We fully understand that you are doing what you were told to do but that doesn't excuse the matter.

Use this as a learning exercise, go back to your bosses and tell them you have to be a gsr to do what you are doing.

It could open up a new chapter in your life and enable you to bring home more money for your family!

I'm not pinching work from anyone.
I also have a family to support.
I came to introduce myself not get bitched at.
Go pig at the other thousands of people doing the same

Ha ha because everyone else is doing it then it must be fine. Dude that is such an immature attitude, how will your family survive if you're banged up for killing someone as your argument won't stand up in court. Get qualified and do it properly

Fair enough, however there are hundreds.,possibly thousands of others out there doing the same thing. I have a family to support and works work.
Not justifying it but it is what it is.

Supporting your family is a high priority but not at any price.You have had the legal situation pointed out and the possible consequences for all concerned.If problems arise it will not be a defence to say I didn't know or my boss told me to do it.You are working for someone who is using you to do work he knows you are not qualified for.I wouldn't work for someone like that.He knows it is illegal ,as he seemingly has some desperate GSR to sign it off.No self respecting GSR engineer would do this for a few quid and put his career at risk.Basically he is 'using'2 tradesmen to presumably save a few quid.As for the comment 'there are hundreds,possibly thousands doing it' ,I prefer to think this is rare.Do you think anyone on here would risk their career for a few quid putting aside other issues such as safety.

There was a recent post on here which illustrated what can go wrong,although in slightly different circumstances.2 engineers who worked under their company gas safe registration did a 'weekend'job,signed off by an engineer who had his own registration.Long story short ,problems with the install,customer can't get engineers back quickly.He was advised to contact Gas Safe and company who employed them.That will not have ended happily.

Oh well nevermind. Boss won't pay for it and I need work. .
You've made your point....
Move on...
And trust me there are a hell of a lot of plumbers doing installs and calling in a gas engineer to sign off. In fact I know of several gsr engineers that all they do is sign off work. There was one guy that used to fly round London on a moped signing off work for somewhere between 50-100 quid. Anyway put ya handbags away lol xx
Or shall I quit my job just before Xmas because some of you aren't happy xx

I have a certain amount of sympathy. I would break rules, bend rules, and do what ever it takes to put food on the table for my family. It's not the right way tho and eventually it will come to an end.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I always call it drink driving as those do what they do knowing full well its wrong and will continue until they caught and if they are not caught they will continue

I have a certain amount of sympathy. I would break rules, bend rules, and do what ever it takes to put food on the table for my family. It's not the right way tho and eventually it will come to an end.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Agree with you there mate but I think no one here likes having that disregard thrust in their face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
All sounds good the insuduct is a nice bit of...
Replies
Views
Back