Hello from Liverpool | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Rover
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 2K

Discuss Hello from Liverpool in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rover

Evening all,

Just to introduce myself - I am an office gopher at the mo on approx 21k but really fancy getting out and working for myself.

I have been looking at getting a trade for a while to be able to work self employed but obviously this means I will start at the very beginning of my trade. Gaining a trade appeals to me as I get to be my own boss and not have to run around in a shirt and tie (non needed) and messing my pants if the clock edges towards 9am but I am still down the road struck in traffic.....

Thanks all

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Rover and welcome you can learn a lot from the guy`s on here regards turnpin:D

Hello Rover,:welcome: to the forum.
hope everything goes to plan, but don't assume that plumbing has no stresses

7am starts, some seriously hard work, no set hours its done when its done, stress, you have to cover your backside with anything you do. A little insight.

Welcome
its not all bad, view the forum and you will see.

Welcome to the forum rover and good luck in your search. Think you might find it an uphill battle but I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the replies gents - been going though some threads on here and found some really good info.

For me it's more proper grafting but getting no recognition from the management but when stuff goes wrong they soon pipe up.

Well 9am starts might be a bit optimistic the but driving to a job at 6am might mean I will beat the traffic lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you try it or a couple of weeks before you make the leap?

I've put the feelers out to a contact to ask if I can come along and make the Tea :)

Rover. Welcome to the forums. Watch the swearing son. I've edited your posts. Next time I may not be in as good a mood!

Of course Croppie - my apologies - I did see the **** when I inserted an alternative word for excrement.

Welcome along :)

The paths are paved with gold and you'll be earning 100k within a fortnight.

or

You'll find there isn't a skills shortage and the training centres are filling you with bull, a lot of fully trained and competent people are sat around with their thumbs up their jacksies doing sweet fanny adams.

Am I being cynical?

Just a bit cynical...

10k a fortnight seems a bit more reasonable from what I have heard :oops:

Might not have time to report back with all of the people banging down my door for work lol.

Seriously though, I did not realise that the 'market conditions' were that bad - I see no point in pursuing this as an option if the figures don't work an I can't make it pay.

I am certainly not going to pay for a course only to find out at the end of it that even if i could get work, there is none about.

Just a thought though, is it apathy that makes it seem as bad as it is or are people with the skills, experience etc getting out there and approaching comps etc - there does seem to be a load of internet job boards looking for Heating Engineers, Gas Meter Installers etc etc.

Might not have time to report back with all of the people banging down my door for work lol.

Seriously though, I did not realise that the 'market conditions' were that bad - I see no point in pursuing this as an option if the figures don't work an I can't make it pay.

I am certainly not going to pay for a course only to find out at the end of it that even if i could get work, there is none about.

Just a thought though, is it apathy that makes it seem as bad as it is or are people with the skills, experience etc getting out there and approaching comps etc - there does seem to be a load of internet job boards looking for Heating Engineers, Gas Meter Installers etc etc.

Do a lot more research before you do anything. A lot of jobs on the internet are purely agencies wanting to get peoples name onto a database and the jobs probably don't exist.

Simple question for you. How are you going to pay the rent whilst training? There's probably 100's of posts on here every week with individuals offering to work for nothing to gain experience. Can you afford to do that?

I've heard someone called Purple Aki is looking for lads.

He only wants the muscular naive types though - :sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

A mate of mine (me) once got asked if he could get on their back while they do squats ha ha ha

hi what attracts you to the plumbing trade ? and not another trade ? whats actually wrong with your day job ? im not trying to be negative but its not always greener and plumbing is a hard game. i know a few plumbers who dont make 21k a year or struggle alot to !

Purple croppie you mean.
He feels your muscles before you get let in the arms...

Ain't that right purps ?:cool:

You'll be feeling summat on the back of your head before long! I need appeasing now. Appease me with a bottle of Croppiegoblin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back