Hello from Retired Engineer | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Technoplod
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 855

Discuss Hello from Retired Engineer in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Technoplod

Hello everyone

My background is that in Coal Mining Mechanical Engineering followed by 22 years military as an Instrument Technician completing service as an Optronics Artificer in the rank of WO 1(ASM), followed by some police service and IT Support both professionally and as a hobbyist (supporting friends and family). So I have literally covered everything from Steam to Opto-Electronics and Desktop Computing.

Currently I have an issue with a dripping Yaran Bath Shower Mixer which according to the blurb uses ceramic technology. I have read a previous entry from c. 2013 however as I live in a bungalow some elements are not the same. We have a combi boiler for hot water and cold is from the mains. The unit is just over 3 years old and despite going to the suppliers they are unable to supply the ceramic (units) or blue and red washers in order for me to replace them both as I do not know which is causing the leak.

Is there anyone that can assist with a potential supplier of the ceramic disc, or able to identify a manufacturer of the unit within a reasonable distance of TN15 6DX, happy even if it has to be postal delivery providing it is the correct item. I have searched on the internet and keep ending up with the company who supplied all the fitments for our new build bathroom and kitchen who are unfortunately unable to supply at store level.

Many thanks John

I have used Tap Magician in the past when in desperate need. Often the costs of the ceramic cartridges are prohibitive. You need to be precise with the measurements though.

Many thanks Aquazone, I will look this up as I have already looked at another supply website and understand fully where you are coming from re sizing and cost. Ironically I had my grandson who has just started as an apprentice plumber but completed a year at college look at it and he managed to remove the hot tap cover. It was this that was leaking and not the cold side which I had successfully removed - to get dimensions etc. As happened when he took the innards apart it was blatantly obvious that the main seal / washer was deformed somehow. We have cleaned the washer and the ceramic part using Viakal replaced both and it all appears to have cured it for now. I will still need to get replacement red and blue washers as a precaution if nothing else. Thanks again for the website though.

Hi there Technoplod and welcome to the forum mate, sometimes the best way to know exactly what to get is to take the inards out of the tap , take a pic and then research it on internet, if its either 2 seperate taps or a deck mixer then the red n blue parts is what youl need or the whole insert, ( 1/4 turn) , but if its a knuckle tap then there totally different , have a look at this website to give you an idea of the amount of different types n sizes of tap inards,
Tap Spares

Hi Kris Many thanks from one Scot to another albeit I now live South of the Border. Another useful website to check out and see if I can identify the silicon seals that I now need. At least we have now had 24 hours drip free thanks to my grandson Jack getting the hot side out and confirming the actual problem of a deformed seal. Yes it is a minefield out there with the different ranges of fitments and sizes AND to my surprise a mix of metric and old Imperial measures (Dimensions in metric and screw threads described as BSP - takes me back a bit. Thanks again, John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back