Hello to all on the forum | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Lodger
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 827

Discuss Hello to all on the forum in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lodger

Hi, Just registered today as I stumbled upon this forum looking for a Gas Safe training course.
I live in Nottingham Nottinghamshire and have been fitting bathrooms, Kitchen's and doing plumbing jobs for the last 10 years.
I have all tools for the job and latest addition being my Dewalt D2400 wet tile saw.

In the last 10 years since I professionally started Kitchen and Bathroom fitting and refitting, I have hardly ever been out of work, however I have noticed that in the last 2-3 years that I have been loosing jobs to DIYers.
Bearing this in mind, I have decided to broaden my skills and offer Gas services. I am now looking to gain this qualification, be it part time of full time in the Nottinghamshire area. If anyone can recommend an organisation, I would be most grateful.

Hi Lodger

Welcome to the forums,hope you get sorted out in finding someone to do yourgas with

hello lodger,
I am currently at college in Nottingham for the NVQ gas course. Look at any threads on the subject and the strongest advise will be the slower route such as college rather than the pay £5K to become a gas man.
you can take the city and guilds part of the course only, but at the end all you have are certificates showing you have some knowledge. to become GSR you will need to get work with a GSR fitter and do the full NVQ course.
Having said all that I know the course structure changes next year (new courses start in September)
next year will be a 3 year as opposed to the current 2 year course.

Last edited:
Hi Simon. Thanks for the insight in to the GSR.
I have been looking into this further and yes, it does make sense to do the course in collage. The money it costs to fast track is not looking attractive.

2 or 3 years or longer with plumbing included, sounds like a long time, the fast route is bound to seem appealing. But taking the time for the things learned to sink in and be reinforced with real work experience seems more sensible

Hi Simon, At my age I will need time to do my theory. I will take the collage route if I go down the rout of going Gas Safe. I was advised by a friend to go the renewable energy route. Solar heating and ground source heat pumps seem to be the future. I too am looking into getting solar water heating at some point. With gas and electric costs hitting the roof, this seems a better alternative to GSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
Plumbing Advice, by Country Professional...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
I am only telling you what I have seen. I...
Replies
Views
Back