Help Advice needed Glow-worm boilers! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help Advice needed Glow-worm boilers! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wentworth

Hey, I have 2 glow-worm 100ff boilers installed in the attic. A couple of weeks ago they would not fire up from the control panel (i checked the fuses in the PCB with no luck).
They were left off during the cold weather snap, whilst i waited for Npower (fixed price) to come out to have a look ( a few days) - during this time a number of pipes to the boiler (in and out flow from the boiler) burst and split. I managed to repair those pipes however it now appears that water is now leaking from inside one of the boilers? (is this the heat exchange split) if so is it worth repairing?? i know the part is around £400 plus labour costs, I also think the water has spilt over the PCB in one boilers anyway so that part may need to be replaced aswell as the original fault in the first place.

Do you think it is worth repairing or should I get new boilers fitted? Either way how much am i looking at spending? Im located in North London.
Many Thanks for reading this,
James.

i went to a potterton that had the heat exchanger split and even filled the gas meter was full of water not to mention everything else in the boiler getting damaged, it was repaired for £330 the customer was delighted and I would recommend the same ,why get a new boiler if you can get it repaired for a couple of hundred quid, Npower have offered a fix price go for it a bargain ,good luck

Hey thanks Mark for the quick reply, i forgot to mention that N-power did come around to look at them and they said it wouldn't be covered in the fixed price as they felt it would cost more than the £600 that the fixed price covers. I am sceptical of his opinion because he didn't even look at the boilers he just seemed to not want to know i guess after i described the situation and he saw the boilers with trays underneath them and just thought (im guna get outta here its not worth my time)!

I was wondering if it was worth getting a plumber to fix the heat exchange then calling out another (fixed price) to repair the PCB/original fault as this would be more cost effective?

you should have removed the buckets and get them out again,the guy aint doing his job that he is being paid to do ,ask for a different engineer ,a fixed price is a fixed price some stipulate what is and isnt covered, glowworm probably do a fixed price all in ,good luck

May be ask an independant for a quote, might be around £600 heat exch & pcb.
But if you've got 2 x 100ff boilers it might be worth changing to new high eff boilers as the price of gas is going up! only if you're intending staying in the property for at least 6+ years.
Whatever you do make sure the boilers are fitted with frost & pipe stats to protect them in the loft.

i was wondering about that sorry i missed the 2 boiler bits ,I agree with above maybe cheaper in the long run with one or two quality boilers with weather compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

V
Depends if the gas safe engineer split water...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Did you check that the valve opens when the...
Replies
Views
Back