Help/advice plumber been out twice-still not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help/advice plumber been out twice-still not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

C

chickitta

I'd like your advice please... two weeks ago our boiler was playing up.. it's a combi boiler. Found plumber from trustatrader websit.. he came out said it was the diverter so he fixed this whilst also drilling a hole through the wall for overflow pipe or something that also needed doing.. charged me £300. Paid by cheque..

3 days later same problem... boiler won't stay on.. just keeps firing up then going out.. sometimes it will stay on sometimes it won't,

He came back out said it needed a power flush... which he did and charged me another £400!! EEkkkk...

Paid by cheque.... that was yesterday, today, exactly the same problem.. so long story short.. i've paid £700 and my boiler still not fixed.

What should I do now?? I have cancelled the last cheque and need to put this in writing to him which i'll post to him tomorrow... any advice apprecitated...

sore subject, you agreed to have the work done ie the p.f you was quoted for the job, (you havnt said how old the boiler is) now you have cancelled the check for the work actually done, irrespective if it has or has not solved the prob, your system will benefit all the same?.
not saying right or wrong, just that i wouldnt like to work for nothing, especially if it was done properley ie a full day. if a couple of hours then not so much.

welcome to the forum by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like your advice please... two weeks ago our boiler was playing up.. it's a combi boiler. Found plumber from trustatrader websit.. he came out said it was the diverter so he fixed this whilst also drilling a hole through the wall for overflow pipe or something that also needed doing.. charged me £300. Paid by cheque..

3 days later same problem... boiler won't stay on.. just keeps firing up then going out.. sometimes it will stay on sometimes it won't,

He came back out said it needed a power flush... which he did and charged me another £400!! EEkkkk...

Paid by cheque.... that was yesterday, today, exactly the same problem.. so long story short.. i've paid £700 and my boiler still not fixed.

What should I do now?? I have cancelled the last cheque and need to put this in writing to him which i'll post to him tomorrow... any advice apprecitated...

rip off merchant

300 to change divertor valve ???

how long did he take to powerflush

by not coming on - do you mean water not getting hot (boiler still firing) as this would give symptoms of problems with DV.

or is the boiler shutting down after firing up for a bit.

is it firing up - or is the fan just coming on - is it igniting ?

sore subject, you agreed to have the work done ie the p.f you was quoted for the job, (you havnt said how old the boiler is) now you have cancelled the check for the work actually done, irrespective if it has or has not solved the prob, your system will benefit all the same?.
not saying right or wrong, just that i wouldnt like to work for nothing, especially if it was done properley ie a full day. if a couple of hours then not so much.

welcome to the forum by the way

to be honest red i know what your saying but....

the customer asked for a problem to be fixed, divertor didnt fix it and then powerflush hasnt all that for 700 - id be slightly annoyed too.

as id called a plumber to fix problem im 700 down and the problem still exists, whether this is benefiting my boiler or not the job hasnt been done properly.

now a divertor valve to be changed for 300 is ridiculous but it does say something about over flow pipe - probably blow off or condense. But does this still warrent a 300 pound bill? then 400 for a powerflush ?

Hi thanks for welcome... redsaw.. i'm happy to pay him if he gets my boiler working.. which is around 5yrs old.. but £700 out of pocket for a boiler that's still not working???

Qplumber powerflush took all day .. the bolier is firing up but then going off again straight away.. seems like it wants to stay on but then just cuts out.. it does eventually stay on. But obviously somethings not right ..

could be numerous things really.

was your hot water working before he changed divertor valve?

whats the problem with hot water or heating or both ?

of course i think we are all right on this one.
the plumber will soon call to find where his dosh is, hold it till boiler fixed and only offer to cover cost of part before releasing payment. this way you will have paid due's and he got paid for what he should have done in the fist place, fixing the boiler.

is there any skweak or rumbling comming from boiler?.

ok so thats the reason why he went for divertor valve - and now the problem is with heating or hot water?

Heating and hot water both work once boiler is fired up. but The boiler won't always stay fired up... sometimes it will.. then it just won't stay on.. hope that makes sense :(

My dilemmer is.. what do i say to the plumber.. do i get him back and give him chance to get it working.. then give him the 400... or he may add more on?

of course i think we are all right on this one.
the plumber will soon call to find where his dosh is, hold it till boiler fixed and only offer to cover cost of part before releasing payment. this way you will have paid due's and he got paid for what he should have done in the fist place, fixing the boiler.

is there any skweak or rumbling comming from boiler?.

No, no squeak or rumbling... I'm more than happy to pay for work carried out... but would like to be able to have a shower and heating when I want..not just when boiler decides it wants to stay on:eek:

Thanks for replies so far... need to go and cook dinner... i'll check back later

well it could be many things

i would get him back and inform him he hasnt done what hes been paid to do, inform him that you will pay the remaning 400 once it has been rectified.

i would say that he has done the right things

divertor valve as hot wasnt coming on which obviously fixed that problem.

powerflush as he obviously thinks the main heat exchanger is scaled up/sludge so has powerflushed days work good job but has he descaled the heat exchanger ? half a job imo.... would still remani a problem if the heat exchanger is scaled... give him one last chance to rectify they say 3rd time lucky lol

Youve been ripped off, Iam sorry about that, but the bad news doesnt end there for you in regards to the cheque youve cancelled.

Under law, when you write a cheque to someone you effectively promise that the cheque will definitely be honoured by your Bank, and if for whatever reason the Bank does not honour the cheque you imply that you will compensate that person in full.
So, if someone’s (it could be anyone – company, customer, friend, family) cheque is not honoured or is stopped by them (for example, by a customer because they are unhappy with the goods or services you supplied to them), you can immediately sue that person and there is virtually no defence that the customer can raise to that claim.
We will claim on you behalf not only the amount of the cheque, but also interest on that money and payment towards the costs you incur in chasing up payment.​
In most cases, where you sue on a cheque in this way, you will get an early judgment against the person or company that issued the bounced cheque, returned cheque, stopping cheques amd unpaid cheque with no need to go through the expense and stress of a full court case.
There will only be a defence to your claim for a bounced cheque in two situations:​
arrow.gif
If the person issuing the cheque can prove that they received absolutely nothing from you in exchange for their payment, this may legally justify their stopping the cheque. If, however, they obtained even very deficient goods or services from you, this removes this defence from them and you will still get judgment against them
arrow.gif
The only other defence they can raise is where the contract with you was illegal or you obtained the cheque from them in a fraudulent way.
If neither of these two defences can be raised, your claim will succeed, you will get judgment, and you can then proceed to enforce that judgement if they do not pay you voluntarily.

Youve been ripped off, Iam sorry about that, but the bad news doesnt end there for you in regards to the cheque youve cancelled.

Under law, when you write a cheque to someone you effectively promise that the cheque will definitely be honoured by your Bank, and if for whatever reason the Bank does not honour the cheque you imply that you will compensate that person in full.
So, if someone’s (it could be anyone – company, customer, friend, family) cheque is not honoured or is stopped by them (for example, by a customer because they are unhappy with the goods or services you supplied to them), you can immediately sue that person and there is virtually no defence that the customer can raise to that claim.
We will claim on you behalf not only the amount of the cheque, but also interest on that money and payment towards the costs you incur in chasing up payment.​
In most cases, where you sue on a cheque in this way, you will get an early judgment against the person or company that issued the bounced cheque, returned cheque, stopping cheques amd unpaid cheque with no need to go through the expense and stress of a full court case.
There will only be a defence to your claim for a bounced cheque in two situations:​
arrow.gif
If the person issuing the cheque can prove that they received absolutely nothing from you in exchange for their payment, this may legally justify their stopping the cheque. If, however, they obtained even very deficient goods or services from you, this removes this defence from them and you will still get judgment against them
arrow.gif
The only other defence they can raise is where the contract with you was illegal or you obtained the cheque from them in a fraudulent way.
If neither of these two defences can be raised, your claim will succeed, you will get judgment, and you can then proceed to enforce that judgement if they do not pay you voluntarily.​
there you go,

deny that you had a powerflush and put it down to boiler repair, as it has not been = valid.

arrow.gif
arrow.gif
If neither of these two defences can be raised, your claim will succeed, you will get judgment, and you can then proceed to enforce that judgement if they do not pay you voluntarily.​
Before I cancelled the cheque I got advise from consumer direct...

And they said?....

In short... They agreed to cancel cheque.. give them the chance to fix boiler then pay them.. Which is exactly how it should be, don't you think.. someone fixes something.. you pay them:rolleyes: He could just keep charging and charging and still not fixing:eek: When do you draw the line...

Probably not much use to you know but if you write on the back of the cheque - paid under protest - you can cancel the cheque legally !

seen it in the real hustle !! :D

Update... plumber coming round to look at boiler today with his mate! He said he will fix it but I need to pay for parts not labour... my question is.. how much more should i pay for parts etc what if he does one part .. that doesn't work.. do i pay for another part.. omg .. nightmare....

Update... plumber coming round to look at boiler today with his mate! He said he will fix it but I need to pay for parts not labour... my question is.. how much more should i pay for parts etc what if he does one part .. that doesn't work.. do i pay for another part.. omg .. nightmare....

well ask him what part it his - get him to make a proper diagnoses - check if he uses a multimeter, when he says its a overheat stat or even the heat exchanger is scaled up aske him to descale the heat exchanger rather than by a new one - and if its a stat or air pressure problem ask for receipt for the part.

he should be able to diagnoise the problem on site if not then he is what we call in the trade a parts changer (changes parts at customers expense until one of the parts work and fixes the problem

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
For the job you have described materials are...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, A friend of mine no longer needed a...
Replies
Views
malex83
M
Back