Help bleeding upstairs radiators | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help bleeding upstairs radiators in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi gang,

I was called to a job this evening to fix a leak. I was then asked to look at the heating. The problem was upstairs rads (all 3) not heating up.

I checked and the bottom of the rads were hot and the tops cold.

I opened the valves to first rad, and bled all the air out of it. I came to the second rad, and only managed to get a little bit of air out before there was no pressure left to push any more air out, same story with third rad, it hissed for a second, then stopped, top of rad still cold.

I turned the heating off and tried again, no joy.

The system is a baxi bermuda back boiler downstairs with a hot water cylinder downstairs, a pump upstairs above the boiler(which was working). Unfortunately, I was unable to access the loft to check the cistern.

I left my radiatior key with the occupant and showed her how to bleed the rads, and asked her to try bleeding them again tomorrow.

Any pointers to what the problem may be will be appreciated for when I (most likely) have to return to the property.

Thanks in advance.

could be faulty ballvalve, blockage in feed or sludged up pipework,valves or rads. If you take the nipple out poke some wire into the nipple hole to open it up and sit down and read your nuts mag it will fill up eventually. Or get up the loft check the tank, and pipework for possilbe blockages. run a magnet around the feed and vent connections etc....

Last edited:
you need to check the loft tank before anything else.
if that's not dry then are the feed and vent clogged up or is there a tap been fitted?

Thanks for the replies guys, just learned some new tricks, I like the one with a magnet, that's new on me!
Yeah, I should have gone to the loft but didn't have my ladders with me doh!
Simon, could you explain what you mean by "is there a tap been fitted?" or am I being stupid lol

Place your bets... I will reply to this thread once I get called back to the job and get into the loft (armed with the help from you lot)

Been back to the job yet?

I have the same problem, at a customers house I went to today,with the upstairs rads only hot at the bottom and cold at the top. I tried bleeding the radiators and every once in a while a hiss of air would come out. I tried sucking the air out with a wet vac which got the whole rad hot but then the top half went cold again after a while. I guess it was only pulling the hot water from the other rads.

I shall check the F & E tank tomorrow now and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
You should have not touched the lockshields...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Definitely sounds like a wiring issue. as...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Sorry myself or anyone else hasn’t responded...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back