HELP...boiler installation & CP12, pricing. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss HELP...boiler installation & CP12, pricing. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

topdog

Gas Engineer
Hello to everyone,
Could anyone PLEASE tell me what is the standard charge for doing a service on Boilers, Fires, Fire/back-boilers and also CP12.
Also could you have a look at my website: www.greatbritaingas.com and see if my charges for boiler installations and power flushing etc are OK.
As some of you know this is my first year in the gas industry and I'am still trying to set my charges for my services.

The reason I need your HELP, I have been out looking for work in the BARRY/Cardiff area with some letting companies and they have
informed me that the GAS ENGINEERS they use, charge £25 for a FULL service and £25 for a CP12, HOW can they charge this, am I doing something wrong,
As a proper service can take me an hour and sometimes a couple of hours depending on how dirty they are BACK-BOILERS especially, Boiler and Fire to be worked on
and a CP12 can take easy an hour. Taking fuel for my van, traveling to site and back again, Time driving to and from site, getting tools etc out and putting them back in the van when completed,
writing up the paperwork and doing the WORK, (service or CP12).
Is this the normal charges £25 ???????????????????
Any POSITIVE feedbacks would be much appreciated as I have already said this is my first year in the industry and I'am just trying to establish myself.
I NEED YOUR HELP IN THE COSTING ETC.

MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE
topdog

pricing in these time is difficult. luckily i dont have too ! so this is a bit of common sense advice i think.
if your not busy and want the work, lower your rate. if your busy or not bothered add a couple of quid.
see what the local guys are charging, try to compete with them, to be honest if someone is servicing a boiler for 25 quid then let them do it unless you really need the money.
the cp12 is just a bit of paperwork that you have to fill in, the only extra work you have to do is a drop test on the system, which any respectable engineer would do on a service in a domestic property so thats 25 quid in the pocket - meaning 50 quid for a boiler service which isnt brill but definetly ok.
every boiler is different and it depends on the depth of service, as you stated back boilers isnt a money earner but will get you a client base.
every boiler service i do is at minimum ignition and ionisaton/thermocouple change which could be 80 quid in materials alone.
other companies/engineers might just stick the fga in the hole if ratio is below 0.004 they wont even take the cover off - that takes 5 minutes !
ime afraid its a live and learn process for the next 20 years (20 in my case)
be reasonable and decide what the minimum you can afford to live on is, do not cut your competion price in half (instant local bad name) just be integral and honest.
you'll do allright - tho it aint a get rich quick scheme.
good luck.

pricing in these time is difficult. luckily i dont have too ! so this is a bit of common sense advice i think.
if your not busy and want the work, lower your rate. if your busy or not bothered add a couple of quid.
see what the local guys are charging, try to compete with them, to be honest if someone is servicing a boiler for 25 quid then let them do it unless you really need the money.
the cp12 is just a bit of paperwork that you have to fill in, the only extra work you have to do is a drop test on the system, which any respectable engineer would do on a service in a domestic property so thats 25 quid in the pocket - meaning 50 quid for a boiler service which isnt brill but definetly ok.
every boiler is different and it depends on the depth of service, as you stated back boilers isnt a money earner but will get you a client base.
every boiler service i do is at minimum ignition and ionisaton/thermocouple change which could be 80 quid in materials alone.
other companies/engineers might just stick the fga in the hole if ratio is below 0.004 they wont even take the cover off - that takes 5 minutes !
ime afraid its a live and learn process for the next 20 years (20 in my case)
be reasonable and decide what the minimum you can afford to live on is, do not cut your competion price in half (instant local bad name) just be integral and honest.
you'll do allright - tho it aint a get rich quick scheme.
good luck.

Many Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated.

Just a reminder lads that everybody can see this. Shouldn't be talking ££££ on an open forum.

There are some desperate folk around your parts mate .. consider moving :) :lol: Positive enough?

If you're a bull****ter then you'll do little, if you're proven to be good at what you do then word of mouth will bear the fruit you deserve! Price is rarely the issue when it comes down to customers IMHO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back