Help! Can't stop radiator leaking | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help! Can't stop radiator leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Hi folks

I've ripped and replaced our central heating recently, bar the boiler, mainly fitting Kudox radiators from Screwfix, which are well reviewed. I'd taken advantage of the bundled TRV deal too - mainly Drayton. I've found that 4-5 of the 11 radiators I've fitted have leaked from around one or both of the tails, despite the usual 6 or so clockwise wraps of PTFE tape. I don't know if it's poor manufacturing (ie. the threads on the tails or inside the radiator aren't very accurate) or what. I've managed to fix all of these bar one, with extra PTFE tape and sometimes a bit of jointing compound. In one case, I noticed that the threads on the tail had tiny notches travelling along the length of the tail so I replaced the tail with one that didn't and that seemed to fix the issue, although I did add more PTFE tape and jointing compound, which could have been the fix.

One tail however just keeps on dripping. Any suggestions/tips on an alternative approach?

Cheers
Jez

More ptfe it’s recommend around 15 wraps of pfte tape for a 1/2 thread

If that fails try loctite 577 or 55

I usually stop counting at 12 wraps of ptfe, but put at least 2 more on.

The first wrap I've always rolled the ptfe into a string and wrapped it into the base of the thread, but that comes from being commercial and mainly working with larger threads.

I noticed the scoring on tail threads recently (can't remember make) it was as if they'd been ready roughed up to accept LT55...
Went over to LT 55 this year after advice on the forum and haven't looked back.

Hi folks

I've ripped and replaced our central heating recently, bar the boiler, mainly fitting Kudox radiators from Screwfix, which are well reviewed. I'd taken advantage of the bundled TRV deal too - mainly Drayton. I've found that 4-5 of the 11 radiators I've fitted have leaked from around one or both of the tails, despite the usual 6 or so clockwise wraps of PTFE tape. I don't know if it's poor manufacturing (ie. the threads on the tails or inside the radiator aren't very accurate) or what. I've managed to fix all of these bar one, with extra PTFE tape and sometimes a bit of jointing compound. In one case, I noticed that the threads on the tail had tiny notches travelling along the length of the tail so I replaced the tail with one that didn't and that seemed to fix the issue, although I did add more PTFE tape and jointing compound, which could have been the fix.

One tail however just keeps on dripping. Any suggestions/tips on an alternative approach?

Cheers
Jez
Jezzer, using PTFE tape ....is fine ...but you must counter wrap it so it tightens up as you wind the tail into the radiator stabbing...Then after 10 or so turns you then 'rope' the ptfe
ie... twist it and then finish with a couple of flat wraps. Many stabbings for rads are tapered threads and need this method. If they are straight threads then its easier less ptfe or use splodge as others above suggest...centralheatking

Radiator tails use parallel threads, parallel threads aren’t designed to seal with thread tape. You need an anaerobic thread sealant like Loctite 577. The thread sealant needs to be allows to cure before you pressurise the system, you can get an activator to speed this up.

Ready scored tails? on Drayton

Attachments

• 20191003_120056.jpg
    20191003_120056.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Finally got it to seal - ptfe paste to fill...
Replies
Views
Hi Problematic valve resolved! I removed the...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Hi, did you ever solve this problem? You...
Replies
Views
D
@dsgboy if you do chop out that tee and find...
Replies
Views
Paulplumb
P
  • Question
Thanks - that's interesting. I did close the...
Replies
Views
Back