Help! Got a back boiler but need new fire front | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help! Got a back boiler but need new fire front in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grier

Hi Guys

Hope someone can help, as I'm completely flumoxed on what to do next...

We have a back boiler in our front room, which has just been serviced shortly after we moved in. It seems very efficient to us and works really well, so we're reluctant to rip it out to put a new fangled 'combi-boiler' in. Obviously to do that would cost a lot of money and we can't really see the point.

So we were told to put a new fire front onto the boiler, but I can't seem to find anything out about this. Would we have to buy a new back boiler to go with the fire front anyway? Or could we just get the front to put onto the existing boiler, as that's all we need?

If anyone has any thoughts, they'd be much appreciated!

Thanks.

if its a baxi 552 or 401 bermuda or later you can get a gsr engineer to fit a second hand fire,obviously it has to be a baxi fire suitable for your boiler and you would need the relevant parts to go with it these normally include a fire fixing pipe,wall fixing bracket,controls heat shield,mi,s and a fire support tray if required
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=b...G_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&_nkwusc=baxi+burm if a baxi lots of choice

Last edited by a moderator:
If your fire boiler unit is any other make other than Baxi, you need to change the whole unit.
Baxi used to do fire front replacements for certain back boiler Bermuda range, but if boiler old & you put a new fire onto it [ if allowed & available, it'll cost alot more than a standard fire] Your boiler will need replacing in a few years, you'll be paying again & fire might not fit!
Baxi do an HE back boiler with a selection of fires.
The other point is your system may not be fully controlled, ie cylinder stat & room stat [ boiler interlock] & therefore inefficient.

baxi do the only HE back boiler on the market now here is the link Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler
compatible with [DLMURL="http://www.baxi.co.uk/products/valor-dimension.htm"]Baxi UK[/DLMURL] Valor fires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Thanks for all your comments so far. I have no idea what make the boiler is, but the central heating programming panel says Honeywell, so I guess that's it?

Now I'm really confused, haven't a clue what to do.

What is everyone's feelings on this?

As I said, the boiler has just been serviced, has nothing wrong with it and seems fairly efficient. The only reason I need to do anything at all is because we currently have a hideous 1970's ceramic bar fire on the chimney breast and need to get rid of it and get something more modern or ageless.

Any thoughts???

Hi

Thanks for all your comments so far. I have no idea what make the boiler is, but the central heating programming panel says Honeywell, so I guess that's it?

Now I'm really confused, haven't a clue what to do.

What is everyone's feelings on this?

As I said, the boiler has just been serviced, has nothing wrong with it and seems fairly efficient. The only reason I need to do anything at all is because we currently have a hideous 1970's ceramic bar fire on the chimney breast and need to get rid of it and get something more modern or ageless.

Any thoughts???

the heating programmer can be any make, look at the boiler and/or fire and identify and name or number you can see, someone will be able to identify it from whatever info you can see, some fires have a badge/label next to the control knob, or look at the bottom of the fire, there will be a removable panel to get into the boiler pilot, there will be some info about there which will identify it, you might get a new fire for certain boilers but will prob need to pay about £500 for one, and TBH the new ones arent great to look at,

the heating programmer can be any make, look at the boiler and/or fire and identify and name or number you can see, someone will be able to identify it from whatever info you can see, some fires have a badge/label next to the control knob, or look at the bottom of the fire, there will be a removable panel to get into the boiler pilot, there will be some info about there which will identify it, you might get a new fire for certain boilers but will prob need to pay about £500 for one, and TBH the new ones arent great to look at,
dont tell me you cant get those nice ones with the glass coals and flickering bulb anymore

The best advice would be to remove it all and get a combi, much cheaper to run in the long run and a combi is much safer.

I have got radiant fire you can have for free. Fire is almost new you will have to het someone to install it tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Are you in a hard water area? Limescale in...
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Back