Help identifying a radiator valve | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help identifying a radiator valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lisa

Cut a long story short, we have a radiator valve that sprang a leak. Unable to find a replacement at local diy places and hardware stores, my brother (rightly or wrongly) stopped the valve from leaking, but also stoped the radiator from working.
Essential he removed the turning part... no i'm not pleased.

(excuse my lack of technical lingo, i'm way out of my depth here)

Obviously replacing the valve is cheaper (i hope) than replacing the entire radiator.
I've tried searching on the web, but can't see anything even remotely similar anywhere, so here i am.
Even if someone can just identify the name/type of valve it will help me track it down.. or at worst confirm my fears it's a new radiator job. Thank you

22052009094.jpg

That looks like a 8mm twin entry pipe and valve to me (can only just make out your pic - V.dark!!) These are a terrible way of piping a radiator and are notorious for poor circulation, sludge and blocking. If you took the valve off the rad, you will be met with a length of pipe which runs internally along the bottom length of the rad (can depend on length but up to two thirds of the length of the rad) and probably a load of sludge build up! The other end of the rad is usually blanked where you would normally fit a valve on a conventional flow and return arrangement.

They were popular 20+ years ago as time saving, neat, less pipe to install and "energy efficient" as less water content -lol! If you go to a big traditional plumbing merchant you may well still be able to get a replacement, but best not to go there. Far better to convert to a twin valve arrangement, extending one pipe to the other end of the rad and fitting a valve where the blanking plug is. From you pic, you might be better to get a new rad while your at it as look like bottom corner seam starting to go and prob full of sludge anyway and may pin hole in time & can be v.messy changing these with all that sludge!

Best to get a plumber in to look at this one as not a big job for a professional, may also be able to save your valve as might just need gland nut tightening up - then you can put back on the "turning part" and away you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol! just looked at pick again without sun streaming onto screen - "turning part" snapped off so new valve it is whatever you do.

Thanks both. think a new radiator/valve system maybe the best way to go here.

Double entry rad valve. When used with double panel rads a special flexible insert is needed. May be prudent to
replace rad while your at or at least flush it out with a hose, if you do replace the rad you wont need the DE type
valve, just buy a trv valve from B&Q and extend pipe work as already mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Or maybe wasn't tightened enough in the first...
Replies
Views
I would like to have another native 10mm...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
D
Well there's a good advert for giving them a go.
Replies
Views
Back