Help identifying immersion heater | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help identifying immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KevinM

Hello all,

My dad is in the process of doing his house up and thought that now would be a good time to replace the 30+ year old immersion heater in his bedroom cupboard. The trouble is, he doesn't know what to replace it with, and nor do I, so I took a picture of it in the hope that someone with the relevant expertise could identify it and/or suggest a replacement model:

IMAG0096.jpg

All we really know is that the brand name is 'Elson' and that by the looks of it it was made around the time of Jesus!

It's dimensions (cm) are 65w x 84h x 49d, there's an overflow pipe which comes out of the side and out through the wall and one water feed in and one feed out.

Any advice on what kind of tank we would replace this old relic with would be greatly appreciated.

-Kev

Hello Kev,

If he's doing it up I'd suggest now is a good time to change the cylinder.

If it is feeding a flat (just one bathroom), how about replacing the lot with a mains fed un-vented cylinder & having the cold off of the mains as well, look at using economy 7 for cheaper overnight electricity. If you go un-vented the work must be carried out by a Part G plumber. NO diy on these I am afraid but good water pressure for showering.

If it is feeding a flat (just one bathroom), how about replacing the lot with a mains fed un-vented cylinder & having the cold off of the mains as well, look at using economy 7 for cheaper overnight electricity. If you go un-vented the work must be carried out by a Part G plumber. NO diy on these I am afraid but good water pressure for showering.

It is feeding a three bedroom house, but there is only one bathroom. The shower pressure is fine with the current tank. I will suggest the idea to my dad, but I doubt he'll go for it - I suggested changing the tank years ago but he stuck with it because 'it works'. I don't want to over-complicate things while he's in the mood to get it done in case he changes his mind!

I will definitely suggest he looks at his electricity tariff, with the addition of a timer for the tank he could probably save himself a few quid.

Howsie: Changing the tank/cylinder is exactly what he wants to do. He's just not sure what brand/type/capacity to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please can you gentleman in the know explain this type of cylinder, I have never come across one like this before?

Please can you gentleman in the know explain this type of cylinder, I have never come across one like this before?

Since making my original post I have done a bit of Googling, and worked out that basically what it is, is a vented, direct combination cylinder, albeit a rectangular (and very, very old) one. And so in doing that, I've answered my own question!

So all we need to do now is work out what the best brand of said cylinder to buy is, and the right capacity.

I feel like a plonker for asking now, I could have figured it out myself.

I think I might be tempted to leave it. Elsy and Gibbons (who made the Elson tank) were proper coppersmiths back in the day, and their tanks were only slightly less robust than Chieftan tanks and after unloading a lorry of them they felt like they weighed nearly as much. I wouldn't be surprised if it has another 30 years of life in it.

I think I might be tempted to leave it. Elsy and Gibbons (who made the Elson tank) were proper coppersmiths back in the day, and their tanks were only slightly less robust than Chieftan tanks and after unloading a lorry of them they felt like they weighed nearly as much. I wouldn't be surprised if it has another 30 years of life in it.

I have no doubt that it's a well made tank, despite the way it looks. We just wonder how well insulated it is, though. I suppose we could just buy a jacket for the existing tank and the exposed pipes.

Food for thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
so if you already have and use E7 then it...
Replies
Views
Can you switch off power to the heating...
Replies
Views
The energy market is totally distorted , one...
Replies
Views
The solar PV isn't connected directly to the...
Replies
Views
Back