Help, leaking tap! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help, leaking tap! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've discovered that the hot tap on the basin in the bathroom is leaking from underneath, specifically from the middle of the black nut thing at the top.

Any idea how I could repair this? There is no isolation valve so I'd rather not replace the tap!

Thanks in advance.

WP_20131207_009.jpg
WP_20131207_010.jpg

Last edited:
Is water just dripping down when u splash water on tap or is it continually dripping ? Pictures please.

Is water just dripping down when u splash water on tap or is it continually dripping ? Pictures please.

Hi Ermintrude,

I have now posted pictures, for some reason the pictures I took were not included when I did the original post from tapatalk :(

It is more of a very slow trickle, but was enough to cause dripping through the ceiling!

If it's continuous the body may have pin holed or it could be water running back down the outside of the spout and getting under the tap because it isn't shutting off completely due to a dodgy washer. In the first instance the tap will need replacing, in the second a new washer may fix it but as both will require shutting off the hot make sure you fit an isolating valve whilst the water is off.

If it's intermittent water may be getting back under the tap as in the second instance above and you may get away with loosening the back nut and squirting a bit of silicone under the tap.

Put new washer in tap, think you will find its running under spout of tap. These are only cheep taps cost you around £10 / £15 to replace.

Ok, so I'm guessing this is where I need to tie up the ballcock in the tank in the loft and run the hot tap until the flow of water stops?

if you have cylinder in the cupboard, find pipe valve which leads to the bottom of your cylinder and shut the valve off, then open tap, shouldnt be much water left. alternatively, call qualified plumber :)

Ok, so I'm guessing this is where I need to tie up the ballcock in the tank in the loft and run the hot tap until the flow of water stops?

If you really don't have a shut off valve now is the time to fit one. You may as well fit one to the cold as well if there isn't one. Use quarter turn lever valves rather than cheap gate valves.

if you have cylinder in the cupboard, find pipe valve which leads to the bottom of your cylinder and shut the valve off, then open tap, shouldnt be much water left. alternatively, call qualified plumber :)

Thanks a lot, as much as it'll hurt my man pride and miss out on lots of man points by doing it myself, I think I'll hand this one over to the landlord! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideally take the toilet out and shouldn't be a...
Replies
Views
G
Just discovered water is constantly dripping...
Replies
Views
GrahamSE1
G
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Thank you but any chance of a link or picture...
Replies
Views
Back