Help needed quoting for CH Install quote | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help needed quoting for CH Install quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys I have been asked to go and provide a quote for a CH install this weekend.

The customer is renting the house but wants to buy it so wants to have it how she wants it.

I'm not entirely sure yet if she wants everything renewed (all new pipework/rads etc) or just a new boiler in and some new rads in a different position. We have exchanged a few emails where she told me she has a worcester greenstar combi boiler at present and wants a new combi.

I have done CH installs before but only through work where everything was quoted and ordered by others so I have no experience of how to go about this. I want to turn up looking and sounding professional. I will be recording all relevant information to use to provide a quote while listening to what the customer wants.

If you can help with a step by step guide (or how ever you see fit) on what things I should be recording before providing a quote it would be very helpful.

So far I have - is new location suitable for the boiler, is it possible? clearances/flue position.
rooms - sizes, types of walls
gas supply - does it need upgrading
current rads.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

Last edited:
Room stat?
Trvs?
Earth bonding to gas valve?
Fused spur ok for boiler?

First thing is listen to what she wants not what u think she wants , then as u said check room size wall construction insulation gas run flow rate of water or team up and take billy with u

You'll be ok Ash. Just have a good look and say if I have any more questions then I will call or email. Gives you chance to ask any questions on here. Its all experience.

Just dont leave yourself short when pricing :)

No way dont get involved at all -SEROIUS PROBLEMS HERE

1. tennants have to have permission from freeholder
2. all the stuff rads boiler etc will belong to the freeholder
not you or the tennant as soon as its inside the property

My advice is WALK AWAY centralheatking

Hi army when i go to see customers ive got piles of brochures of worcester (when they ask for worcester) products like timeclocks plugins and wireless programmable room stats etc quite often the ask for a certain make of boiler and i go through all the different types of control, also boiler position some people know exactly where they would like there boilers while other leave it up to us as to where would be most practical this you'l sus out when you see it, remember and explain about the advantages of spending that extra £100 on a magnaclean and explain to them what it does and how it will help protect there investment ,(well i do), explain to them that youl give the system a good flush out during the proccess , obviously depending on where you put and what size boiler is you may need a bigger size gas pipe , id recommend getting the MR COMBI apps (all of them they are brilliant) calculating pipe sizes , gas rate , rad sizes etc, as your going through this with the customer just take down as much notes as is enough for you to follow up with at home, Me personally i have a quick look round chat to customer have a pot o T then leave - go home sit and work out all your items needed, labour etc then pop est round

Yeh soz you do need owner permission first THATS A MUST goes without saying, unless you get doe upfront

Army is this quote for when she buys i take it?

No way dont get involved at all -SEROIUS PROBLEMS HERE

1. tennants have to have permission from freeholder
2. all the stuff rads boiler etc will belong to the freeholder
not you or the tennant as soon as its inside the property

My advice is WALK AWAY centralheatking

That has crossed my mind and it's something I will be careful of. I will be making sure I get paid for materials up front before starting.

Army is this quote for when she buys i take it?

I have limited info until I see her face to face but I will get all that confirmed and will make sure i wont be out of pocket.

Last edited:
First thing is listen to what she wants not what u think she wants , then as u said check room size wall construction insulation gas run flow rate of water or team up and take billy with u

I have pm'd Billy and he has text to say he will get back to me. I'd love to take Billy with me but then I need to start doing things on my own to gain confidence and learn from my mistakes. If I took Billy I'd end up taking a step back and Billy would everything and i would have learnt nothing :p

Will boiler fit in position. Flue termination
electrics, spur and is there a room stat and programmer or new required
Gas pipe big enough/ new gas run
Suitable condense pipe termination
suitable water pressure and flow
discuss visible pipe runs if any
discuss rooms you will be working in
discuss any problems or issues you can foresee
room sizes if fitting rads

Make a template and then you just have to fill in the boxes.

Why do you take billy? Is it so you look less like a circus freak? Girls do it all the time on double dates / nights out. Go out with a minger and you look like a stunner, go to job with electro balls and you look a pro.

If your unsure just say yep that sounds fine, I will check it to ensure spec is ok and will get a cost. Don't get hung up.

Also nothing is a problem anything can be done it's just how much she needs to pay for it to be done!!

Ash, don't put to much time into it. Give her a rough idea and tell if she's serious you'll pop back and do a thorough survey.

Ash, don't put to much time into it. Give her a rough idea and tell if she's serious you'll pop back and do a thorough survey.

Exactly this, she may just be using it as a bartering tool for negotiating her offer to buy the flat.

This job is dogey all day long so all that happens
is to way over quote - take the dosh upfront
and its happy days no risk

centralheatking
Will boiler fit in position. Flue termination
electrics, spur and is there a room stat and programmer or new required
Gas pipe big enough/ new gas run
Suitable condense pipe termination
suitable water pressure and flow
discuss visible pipe runs if any
discuss rooms you will be working in
discuss any problems or issues you can foresee
room sizes if fitting rads

Make a template and then you just have to fill in the boxes.

Exactly this, she may just be using it as a bartering tool for negotiating her offer to buy the flat.

excellent point. She has said to me there will be a kichen fitter there too doing a kitchen quote so i think maybe the deal to buy the house must be close to being done. I'll make sure that's all confirmed either way though.

I have pm'd Billy and he has text to say he will get back to me. I'd love to take Billy with me but then I need to start doing things on my own to gain confidence and learn from my mistakes. If I took Billy I'd end up taking a step back and Billy would everything and i would have learnt nothing

you overestimate me far too much !!

first and foremost when does she want the work done?

if this is before she buys the property and if so its a minefield on your part due to the possible falling out between her and the landlord, you want all the money in your pocket before you even drain the system in this case.

if its after she buys it get material costs upfrount but bundle 20% of the labour into that just incase.

she will obviously be living there during this so point out before hand she may be a few days without heating or ho****er at least.

put an expiry day on the quote, if she decides she wants it in 8 months time yet material prices has shot up you've shot yourself in the foot.
Mine are valid for a month.

Lie on your quote, bump the quote number up into the 30's.
if the paper says quote one it won't inspire confidence.

Ask her if she is happy with the current boiler ect, does she have a brand or model in mind

if she wants a more powerful one then do check your flow rates still, if you're only getting 11lpm from the mains then anything larger than a 24kw will be a waste.

Take note of flooring/floor coverings in the rooms which require it coming up, possible damages ect
if its all chipboard then of course more hassle and repairs/replacement after you butcher it.

if she wants a full system/radiator movements then sketch up a rough floor plan and note what the rad wall is made of, if they are all brick you're laughing.

Hard wired or wireless controls?
if so don't forget to price for your cable.

Don't forget to price for consumables and costs
fuel, solder, flux, ptfe, jointing compound, sarnies, bunch of flowers for the mrs when you're late

if you think it will take four days, price for five
you'll either need that day or have some extra profit.

treat it all as a learning experience, price to earn from the job and not to just do it.

wages + costs + mark up + profit

don't fall into the trap of thinking you HAVE to get the job, if you're too expensive then its frankly not worth the hassle of doing it.

Killy that is excellent info thanks a lot covered stuff I haven't even thought of.

Thanks to everyone! i'm now going to draw up a list to add my info too.

I love this forum :D

I think that you take each job
as a one off

what you will learn with experience
is that 'you have been there before'

as I have When I started there was no internet

I and others on here are quite happy to help
and also you the newer ones can and do help
me

My outfit made up of nobody less
then 55 ! centralheatking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That's my new plan Timmy, I managed to get up...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it's puzzling why only one company...
Replies
Views
You could go smaller if you go pdhw eg 180l...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
Back